• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tall truck help entry/exit

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
This isn’t exactly bronco tech but it applies to virtually anything. I have a friend, he is 80. He and his wife are really beginning to struggle getting in and out of the Jeep that I built and have rebuilt for them a few times over the last 25 years. It’s tall enough I struggle getting in and out. So my marching orders were to come up with a step that was stable and usable that didn’t cost a fortune. We both are wheeling easier now so the clearance that we used to chase is less important, and if we are at an obstacle that we think they are vulnerable it’s 30 seconds with a 1/2” wrench and the problem is solved. I really wanted to put some rockslide engineering power step/sliders on it but neither of us felt it was worth the money or time to make that happen. Even if I built a set from scratch the materials was in the $2k range and the rockslide pieces are nearly $3k and needed yo be fitted, they don’t make a set for it.

So I got to thinkering and looking around and found a truck bed step for a Tacoma that was easy to work with, I just made a plate to bolt the strep to and bolted that to the existing rock slider. Super simple, the steps are $75ea and took about an hour each to get installed.

Hopefully this gives some ideas that may help someone else.

If you are one of the ones that follows my exploits you’ve seen the Jeep and Mr. Ken out on the trail.
View attachment IMG_1616.mov

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1618.jpeg
    IMG_1618.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0391.jpeg
    IMG_0391.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 48

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Nice!

Mine is fixed, but easily removed when on trails. I usually forget and bend them on rocks (clamped to rock rail) when we end up going to fishing spot and then to repair them at home. 3/4" sch40 down to step.

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’ve lowered this twice, it’s 4” lower than it was 20 years ago. I’d like to lower it about 6” more but It would require stripping all of the suspension off of it and going to a 37 and maybe a 35, it currently has 39.5’s in it and it’s as low as we can get without cutting the body more and doing stated suspension work. And the body is NOT getting cut lol.

mrdrnac

Contributor
Great adaptation to your needs, I like it. May get one myself to play around with.

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
Thats pretty slick! My dads Rubicon just got 37's from 35's with a 3" lift. Dont know why he's making it taller at 75 years old and aggravated hips lol... Ill have to show him this.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I see you bought the "knock off" version. The Toyota version is over $200 I think. I have one on my Tacoma and it works great getting in and out of the bed. Bought a similar one for my son's '21 Ranger PU....he already has a bad hip (HS soccer) and a bad knee (skiing). I think his is Rugged Ridge?? as Ford doesn't (at least last year they didn't) make their own.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Thank you!
Here’s the step
Tacoma step
Will this work for the p/s as well? I don’t really need the ‘boost’ yet, but my better half is vertically challenged and needs a ladder to climb in with the tires on it now. Or she would need a ladder if it wasn’t on jack stands at the moment. 🤣🤣

Randy

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great discovery Steve! Diggin' on the utility and the economy! Thanks for passing it along.

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Will this work for the p/s as well? I don’t really need the ‘boost’ yet, but my better half is vertically challenged and needs a ladder to climb in with the tires on it now. Or she would need a ladder if it wasn’t on jack stands at the moment. 🤣🤣

Randy
Yes it works on the passenger side as well. It is mounted further back as it pulls more forward than back, but it works just as well.

I hang around with a bunch of old guys lol. Mr Hunt is 90 he has a set of Amp automatic steps and has his side disconnected, hates it, but his wife loves the passenger side.

Attachments

• IMG_1288.jpeg
    IMG_1288.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 11