• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 Bronco engine removal

KW76

Hello, I am new here. I am pulling the 302 engine from my 76 for a rebuild. I am thinking of leaving the bellhousing attached to block. Would appreciate any input . Such as will it be more difficult to do it this way and does it make it harder during the reinstall ? Thank You

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You should be able to do it that way. A bit unorthodoxed. But I know you can pull the engine, trans, and transfer as a package. That is generally my preferred method.

From experience, it is a lot easier to mate the engine to the transmission if you start with the bell housing already mated to the transmission. That way the throw out bearing and fork are already set and you are not trying to feed those into place while working the engine, transmission, and clutch together.

OP
OP
K

KW76

You should be able to do it that way. A bit unorthodoxed. But I know you can pull the engine, trans, and transfer as a package. That is generally my preferred method.

From experience, it is a lot easier to mate the engine to the transmission if you start with the bell housing already mated to the transmission. That way the throw out bearing and fork are already set and you are not trying to feed those into place while working the engine, transmission, and clutch together.
Thank you for the info.I forgot to mention that I have an NP435 trans and it is quite heavy. Also I am a greenhorn as far as pulling an engine. So I would prefer to leave trans in place. If I were to pull engine with bellhousing and then on reinstall mate bellhousing back on trans , would the whole clutch assembly stay attached to the flywheel and engine and slide back into the bellhousing. I changed the clutch years ago when I had the smaller 3 speed trans and kinda forget how the it all mates together. Again I appreciate your input

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If I were to pull engine with bellhousing and then on reinstall mate bellhousing back on trans , would the whole clutch assembly stay attached to the flywheel and engine and slide back into the bellhousing.

Yes, but why not save yourself a step? Leave the bell housing attached to the transmission and unbolt the bell housing bolts from the engine. The engine will come out with the flywheel and clutch attached, the throw out bearing and clutch fork stay with the bell housing and transmission.

OP
OP
K

KW76

Its all starting to make sense now. I will leave the bellhousing attached to the transmission as suggested. I appreciate the input and I am glad I joined this forum. Very helpfull. Thanks !!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Leave the mounts attached to the engine. Just remove the large nut on each side that holds them to the frame.

OP
OP
K

KW76

Follow up question . And maybe im overthinking this. I will be leaving the bellhousing attached to NP435 trans. It looks as there is not much room for engine to move forward before the oil pan would hit the front cross member. Will the engine lift enough to clear the crossmember or will I have to move bellhousing , trans and transfer case back a bit ? I keep looking at everything while im waiting for a friend to bring his cherry picker over. Lol

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On reinstall, I have had to remove at least one motor mount so the engine would drop low enough to slide back to the bell housing. Once bolted up, lift the engine back up and install the removed mount(s).

OP
OP
K

KW76

I have a 69 Mustang engine with 76 Bronco oil pan. Sounds like it should clear. Was concerned about about damaging trans shaft or clutch parts when lifting. Thanks

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Another question please. Regarding motor mounts. Did you just remove the two bolts going up into block and leave the mount attached to tower ( not sure thats what it is called ) Just wondering what works best when putting engine back in ? Thank you !
Who cut the tunnel for your 435, and how much body lift do you have? And are you eventually going to pull the transmission, or are you just needing to pull the engine?

There are two different shift tower types for the NP435. One uses a tall tower, and the other is shorter. If the hole in your tunnel is tailored to fit the shift tower, then the body won't let the transmission come up as much as you need. If the tunnel hole is enormous, or if you have a 3 inch body lift, then there's a lot more room.

For the motor mounts, I pull the two bolts into the block, AND the lower nut, and remove the motor mounts completely. Split it at the bell as recommended by @thegreatjustino. With the starter off, and the bell separated, you can go straight forward off the input shaft before you have to start going up. I also pull the driver's side exhaust manifold. (...assuming it's coming off eventually.)

In the "good ol' days" I would use a post jack to support the NP435 and just leave it under the Bronco. But as suspension lifts got bigger, and springs got softer...I find that using a ratchet strap as a cradle under the 435 attached to the frame is faster. The front end will lift a couple of inches without the weight, and you end up fighting the jack as the weight changes. Since the ratchet strap moves with the frame, everything stays in the right place.

OP
OP
K

KW76

I am wanting to leave trans in. Just pulling engine and leave bell attached to trans. I have a 1 inch body lift and I cut the hole when I installed 435. Hole is fairly large so it seems as if trans could rise a couple inches without hitting anything. Starter is out and both exhaust manifolds are off also. Assuming I will need to take bolts off top of trans support cross member to allow it to rise and support under trans. I appreciate the good tips . Thank you !

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I am wanting to leave trans in. Just pulling engine and leave bell attached to trans. I have a 1 inch body lift and I cut the hole when I installed 435. Hole is fairly large so it seems as if trans could rise a couple inches without hitting anything. Starter is out and both exhaust manifolds are off also. Assuming I will need to take bolts off top of trans support cross member to allow it to rise and support under trans. I appreciate the good tips . Thank you !
Nope, you are good to go on the cross member. The rubber isolators let it move pretty far. The t-case balances it pretty well, but it will still be front heavy.