• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering won't return to center

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Drop the drag link. Engine off. Turn the steering wheel. Should turn super easy.
I would hate to think that someone "tightened it up" by over preloading the sector shaft.
That was my first thought as I was reading this post and I think this option needs to seriously be looked at. I've seen it happen more than once.

OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Not that it matters, but didn't Duffs use converted Scout boxes for that kit? If so, I think I'd convert to a different box - seems like there are a lot more options for those now than we had in 2003. Hopefully all the stock mounting holes remain so a stock one could easily be installed.

Todd Z.
Todd,
You are correct.
The casting number (7813031) is a Scout II steering box.
AGR re-drilled two mounting holes so it would match the holes in frame, and I had to drill a new hole in frame to match box.
The box has been machined to provide clearance for the top of the frame.
I suspect the internals may have been changed to make it a 3-1/3 turn box. I can't find turn count for stock Scout II box.

1712554562780.png

1712554817497.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
I've got a 4 turn Factory Saginaw box that is known good. You can bolt it on and run it and see if it makes your problem go away.

You can borrow it for free. Just come get it.
Thanks James,
4 turn factory box returns to center, so issue is in my box and not something else in steering linkage and axle.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Todd,
You are correct.
The casting number (7813031) is a Scout II steering box.
AGR re-drilled two mounting holes so it would match the holes in frame, and I had to drill a new hole in frame to match box.
The box has been machined to provide clearance for the top of the frame.
I suspect the internals may have been changed to make it a 3-1/3 turn box. I can't find turn count for stock Scout II box.

View attachment 922859

View attachment 922860
Cool - thanks for the details with that conversion. And yes, the Scout box was definitely more than 3 1/3 turns lock-to-lock. My uncle had a '73 Scout II with power steering and I recall it being typical of most Saginaw boxes of the era - probably a 6 turn box.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks James,
4 turn factory box returns to center, so issue is in my box
So you did borrow it after all? Glad you were able to take advantage of the offer.
Thanks again, James!

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Thanks James,
4 turn factory box returns to center, so issue is in my box and not something else in steering linkage and axle.

@DirtDonk , happy to help.

@Oldtimer If I were you, I'd contact Duff, and AGR, and make them fix that thing under warranty. There is nothing that you could have done to make that box not center. That portion of the box should come with a lifetime warranty and then some. It was bad when it left their factory, and it's been bad since, and it's still bad.

If they won't fix it for free, then we can source a junkyard saginaw box and re-spool it. (and by junkyard, I mean a "new" box from Autozone or Oreilly)

If you want to buy that factory Bronco box, let me know. I swapped it from 6 turn to 4 turn last month, so I know it's good inside. I just have to make 100% sure that the box in my Boxwood Bronco is a 4 turn. (which I cannot do while it is at the paint shop...)

I'm just glad that the cut and turn on your D44 worked out. You had me worried.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
@Oldtimer If I were you, I'd contact Duff, and AGR, and make them fix that thing under warranty. There is nothing that you could have done to make that box not center. That portion of the box should come with a lifetime warranty and then some. It was bad when it left their factory, and it's been bad since, and it's still bad.

If they won't fix it for free, then we can source a junkyard saginaw box and re-spool it. (and by junkyard, I mean a "new" box from Autozone or Oreilly)
I presume your warranty comment is tongue-in-cheek as the ownership of AGR has changed since that box was built long ago and if AGR still exists, I wouldn't trust the current owner (Steerco) to rebuild the steering on a Ryder wagon, much less a steering box for a Bronco.

Todd Z.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Cool - thanks for the details with that conversion. And yes, the Scout box was definitely more than 3 1/3 turns lock-to-lock. My uncle had a '73 Scout II with power steering and I recall it being typical of most Saginaw boxes of the era - probably a 6 turn box.

Todd Z.
Scout boxes were 4 turn, but the big problem is they were also the opposite rotation. They do make good pitman shaft donors though.

OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
I presume your warranty comment is tongue-in-cheek as the ownership of AGR has changed since that box was built long ago and if AGR still exists, I wouldn't trust the current owner (Steerco) to rebuild the steering on a Ryder wagon, much less a steering box for a Bronco.

Todd Z.

I just figured out that AGR is not an option.
I can contact DUFF, but as good as there customer service is I won't expect them to do much on a 20+ year purchase.

@jamesroney , Having driven your 4 turn box, I prefer the 3-1/3 turn box. Are there any measurments I need to take to on this AGR box to source the proper box to re-spool mine, and keep it 3-1/3 turn?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Scout boxes were 4 turn, but the big problem is they were also the opposite rotation. They do make good pitman shaft donors though.
Doggone it - so my 35 year old memory of driving that Scout isn't as good as I thought :). Maybe I was thinking of the overboosted pump feel and the giant steering wheel! Scouts were also knuckle donors for a few folks back in the day converting to discs.

Todd Z.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA

Todd Z.
Didn't know that the business changed ownership. That changes things a little. Thanks for that info.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I just figured out that AGR is not an option.
[/URL]
I can contact DUFF, but as good as there customer service is I won't expect them to do much on a 20+ year purchase.

@jamesroney , Having driven your 4 turn box, I prefer the 3-1/3 turn box. Are there any measurments I need to take to on this AGR box to source the proper box to re-spool mine, and keep it 3-1/3 turn?
@Oldtimer I don't know the native source for the components in the AGR box. But you will need a spool from a Saginaw application that has the same worm and sector nut thread. So you are on your own on this one.

Glad it steers.