• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cage Modifications Suggestions

bannind

trying to sort out my winter build work - suggestions appreciated on the cage aspect.

Short story long.

The PO of my Bronco, built it for desert racing and for 2 people. This Bronco will be my son's daily driver once he is of age (2 years from now) and so I am trying to make sure I am moving everything so he is set at that point.

What I love about the cage - it is a protective beast. Everything is tied into the frame and I believe that if it is in an accident, the people inside the cage will be safe. I also love the fact that it looks bad ass.

However, while I thought it would be nice having all the extra 'supports' blocking off the back seat area, it is not reasonable of me to expect my son to never have more than one passenger in the bronco. So I can either be stubborn and say 'this is the way it is' (and I have people unsecured and unprotected in the rear of the Bronco) or I can ensure anyone riding with my son will be safe.

Goals -
Must Have - Protect all occupants in case of roll over. Currently the supports running to the rear of the bronco are not 'family friendly'.
Need to modify the current cage to also allow for entry to the rear seats.
Would like to have - Both my son and I love the 'half cab' look. It would be nice to put the hard top to use and make a home made 1/2 cab for use during the winter. Then once the spring/summer/fall seasons hit, put the soft top back on and enjoy the Bronco as God intended..

Thoughts.
The picture of the cage on the grass, was from when we took it out to remove the extra supports that blocked the windshield view and we also took out the seat supports as both of us are over 6' and we could not see out the windshield. I am considering cutting the rear portion where the purple lines are - and then having a separate rear section that mounts at the rear of the bed and next to the current B Pillar mount. Then I could remove the rear cage during the winter so we could have a homemade 1/2 cab. Having a removable rear cage.
For access the eventually added rear seats - the only think I can think of is cutting the brace that runs behind both rear seats. ???

I hate the thought of cutting up the cage as it truly is a work of art. Maybe I should see if there are any bronco enthusiasts who are local who need a cage like this and do some trading.

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Cage Main.jpg
    Cage Main.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 122

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I think you should leave the back seat out of it at least for a couple of years. Less people in the truck means it won't be used as the school taxi and allot less people in the truck to entice him to do stupid stuff that parents don't approve of. After a few years under his belt and settled down some he may want to make the changes and by then he should be mature enough to make those decisions. We were all kids once making stupid decisions and learning from them. Exposing others to those decisions are really not in your best interest and even worse is others helping your children to make poor decisions. Getting the first 2 years of driving under your belt greatly lessens your negative impulses and as a parent moves the liability issues to your adult son.
I had my Bronco when I was 18 I know the things I did and got away with but I was a far mature driver at 18 than when I started at 16. Broncos are dangerous enough if miss handled it doesn't take much to topple the apple cart.

OP
OP
bannind

bannind

It was my original intention to leave it empty or even put some rack in the rear of the bed to keep it 'occupied'. But I can't watch him 24x7 and I can't ensure he will follow the rules I lay down. I can tell him 'no passengers' all I want, but at the end of the day - it is on him to abide. Looking back to my teenage years and my early adult years, I was stupid punk who shouldn't have survived a lot of the stupid stuff I did.

I am sure all parents have those fun discussions/debates between trusting their child with the rules set forth and policing their adherence to the rules.

Hell, I should just save myself the trouble and buy him a used Honda Civic to drive. He can have the Bronco after he graduates college. ;)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Fun being a parent. You get to make the decisions your parents made and toiled over.

Could be worse you could have a daughter who's boyfriend has a high speed road bike who wants to ride on the back of his motorcycle.

Best wishes buddy we'll all get through this, probably with less hair though.

My step daughter was in 4 accidents in the first year of driving. Not much hair left. But I am only a step parent and have no say.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I second the motion to keep the EB for yourself...I see a poll in your future.

All kidding aside, the cage you have is designed to accept long travel rear shocks from the looks of things (hence the odd reinforcements from the B-pillar), and while it seems well constructed, any of the good family cage options available through most of the EB vendors and cage guys would probably be a better choice for a driver. I'd see if there was any interest in it on here and/or CL and then move forward with the cage you really want and need rather than the one you have.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
This thread made me think back to some of the shenanigans I pulled with the family station wagon. 12 to 15 friends jammed in a 63 Galaxy wagon (with wood grain sides) going to football games. My kids were the same way but, we went in half with them on their own cars. They didn't get to drive our nice car. I think you should sell the cage to someone that wants the protection it offers and put a family cage in it's place (along with the back seat). To the right buyer you can probably offset the cost of the new one. Or see if someone would like to trade. I too have been there and have the grey hair to prove it.
Mark.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Keep that Bronco for you.

If he wants one let him earn one.
Maybe make it a father-son project.

If you get something cheap or at no cost then that is what it is worth to you, especially when you are a teen.