• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advise on 1969 that's for sale

gregory

Hi, Greg here. Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for having me. I'm looking for some advise.

I've got the opportunity to buy a 1969 U15. The car is pretty much just rust, but I can potentially use the frame. Regardless, I'm down to pay what the seller's asking if I can just get a clean title from it. The seller sent me a photo of the vin on the frame; which reads U15GLH53865. I can make out most of the numbers and lettering fairly well (there's still some paint and rust obscuring, and the 6 could possibly be a 0). I've checked the vin on bumper. com, and they're saying the car is a 1956 NASH AMBASSADOR SPECIAL SERIES 5650; with no accidents, salvage records, thefts, title records, title brands, or lease records. Which leads me to my first question. "Is U15GLH53865 a Bronco?" (I can make out the stars on both sides of the vin). I suspect bumper. com is just confused, but some reassurance would be appreciated. Also if bumper. com is wrong about the model of the vehicle "Can the information they've provided be trustworthy?", and if not "Where can I get accurate information on the vehicles titles and liens if any?"

Secondly, the seller can only provide me a bill of sale because the car isn't titled or registered. I live in southern California, and the seller lives in a different state. Seller says they don't need titles to register their older cars, and can't get a title for the car. It seems like getting a title bond is my only option. So, my question is "Has anybody in California tried to get a bonded title for a project frame with vin or do I need to rebuild the vehicle first?"

This is the first time I'm taking on a project like this, so any guidance would be appreciated. If I'm walking into a trap, someone please stop me.

Torkman66

Contributor
Been down this road. No title no purchase. You will sink thousands of dollars into the build. Start with something you own, even if you have to pay more. No title means only as parts.

BRONCOchild2.0

Loc.
SoCal
I think in this day in age, where scams are prevalent, you probably have to ignore this Bronco. Unless you can get the vehicle inspected by your local highway patrol/state trooper. I only say this because in my youth, my uncle's friend would literally stamp vin on the fender, which it was never stamped, but it was enough to convince buyers. He literally would sell the same VIN 3x over. Then he'd move over to the next scammed vehicle he purchased.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Walk away. It is a pile of un-titleable rust. Might be able to use the frame, no you can't. It will have more rust than you think. Trying to get the paperwork will be way too involved. If you actually did pull this off you will end up with an assigned VIN, bonded title, questionable frame intrigity, and a steaming pile that anyone who knows anything will be running from faster than you should be from this.

Spending a little more money up front will save you a fortune in the long run,

OP
OP
G

gregory

Cool. Sounds like a resounding no go from everyone. Thanks! All the advice is much appreciated!

LHardin

Build with confidence that you can someday sell it if you have to (get a title).

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
typical sales of ‘today’. “Give me the $ and get outa here"
They can go thru the hassel to get you a title in just bout every state. AND...
w a y easier than you, who are just getting it (50 - 200$ I’d guess). Tax-a-chusetts
is 1 of the worse (3rd richest state) and serious sellers “have title in hand” as a ducks-ina-row
process to movea vehicle. Serious buyers will consider it as well~

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Call Ken Leek and talk to him about getting a title in CA. Cost me around $300 to get a frame with no paperwork I bought in Nevada titled here in CA.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Get that in writting so you have it to show the Judge.

No judge needed. The DMV consultant I referenced confirmed the VIN was clear, got me a title, I then sold the frame to someone else, and title was painlessly transferred to the new owner. All legal and on the up and up. None of this buying a glovebox door bullshit that people try to pull all the time. It was a $300 process to do the whole thing legally.

Last edited:

LHardin

No judge needed. The DMV consultant I referenced confirmed the VIN was clear, got me a title, I then sold the frame to someone else, and title was painlessly transferred to the new owner. All legal and on the up and up. None of this buying a glovebox door bullshit that people try to pull all the time. It was a $300 process to do the whole thing legally.
Congrats to you.

As you know, the Glovebox door tag goes nowhere fast when it comes to titling a Bronco >>> it's the FOMOCO stamp on the frame (not an aftermarket frame).

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
“...stamp on the frame..."
not many know this (seller, buyer) and go with 'a look' (“Yeah, looks likea 19xx Bronco.”) onto regulat post buy stuff (may B mechanical wrk, storage, later register/plate, insure). Might never know, might get a surprise @ sale time.

"...buying a glovebox door..."
Dat guy in Amirillo still pullin dat !?!. BUT...
as these come into the 'classic car’ range ppl do the presale D.D. both of the market AND the specific vehicles
they look at. Ie “this car will never be concourse correct but I can XX an X to/with it. - roadster U13 dot com -

LHardin

Q) So how do you get a 19?? early bronco with a new custom-built frame, a new tub, and probably a different engine yet claim that the original title, vin label on the B panel (newer models), and glove box placard pass the motor vehicles as original?
A) You can't get it past inspection since they are not original.

I always get a picture of the VIN stamp from the frame (commonly between the front shock tower and the front floor body mount on the passenger side of the frame) then compare the size, shape, alignment and look for both asterisks from the same make, model, year and production plant (you can usually find these included in photos from other vehicles for sale by a reputable seller/company.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Q) So how do you get a 19?? early bronco with a new custom-built frame, a new tub, and probably a different engine yet claim that the original title, vin label on the B panel (newer models), and glove box placard pass the motor vehicles as original?
A) You can't get it past inspection since they are not original.

I always get a picture of the VIN stamp from the frame (commonly between the front shock tower and the front floor body mount on the passenger side of the frame) then compare the size, shape, alignment and look for both asterisks from the same make, model, year and production plant (you can usually find these included in photos from other vehicles for sale by a reputable seller/company.

Velocity Restorations runs ads in Bronco Diver all the time looking to buy frames. They use the VIN from the frame they buy to title one of their from scratch builds.

LHardin

Velocity Restorations runs ads in Bronco Diver all the time looking to buy frames. They use the VIN from the frame they buy to title one of their from scratch builds.
I would love to see how they get away with that. I see it as "It is what it is" and slapping lipstick on a pig and selling it as though it's all on the up and up is just WRONG.