• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Explorer Swap - Satisfied?

fishinman78

Contributor
I'm kind of in the early stages of an engine build/swap. Hoping to do something this spring or maybe next winter. I have two options and I can't make my mind up. 5.0 explorer vs 351W

I have a complete 5.0 explorer engine that I pulled our of an explorer along with the 4r70w. I have the harness and everything. It is higher mileage so I would get it rebuilt and probably do a cam swap

I also have a completely rebuilt 1997 351w roller engine on a stand. It has been built to stock specs and I would probably do a cam swap in it as well.

I would like to put one of these in my bronco. It is an uncut 76 and I plan to run 31" tires.

I was really leaning towards doing the explorer conversion with all the fuel injection and then adding the 4r70W later with 4.56 gears, but the other Broncos I have done had 351w's in them and I am concerned that I won't be happy with the power output of the 5.0. Granted I have never driven one with a 5.0 explorer engine.

I want to keep the bronco as stock looking as possible so no hood scoop. I don't mind doing a 1" body lift though. I MIGHT think about AC someday
If I put the 351w in I probably would do a FITech or Sniper because I don't think I can fit an explorer upper under a stock hood and I do kind of like the carb look.

Looking for advice and opinions on guys with the 5.0 explorer engine who are happy or not happy with it or wish they had done something different or maybe guys that have had both and liked one better for one reason or another

Last edited:

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would do the 351w and not the Explorer 5.0.

Install a Cam and FiTech and go. Probably need a 1" Body Lift with the stock hood.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I did the Explorer 5.0 with EFI/OBDII about 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. I came from a stock 302 2bbl, about 125hp. Now this stock 5.0 is running about 210 hp, what a difference! Mines a daily driver/trail truck. I do desert, rocks, and forest roads. I run 35" tires with 4.56 gearing. This combo works great for me.

Mark

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... WHAT WOULD THE 351 BE SAVED Far ...
I Too am leaning toward the 5.0 in the Bronco .. I don't think they need 351's.
& Any hotrod will love the 351.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
After putting an EFI 351w/4R70W in a Bronco, no one has ever said, "I wish I would have gone with a 5.0".

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
After putting an EFI 351w/4R70W in a Bronco, no one has ever said, "I wish I would have gone with a 5.0".

I'm right there with you on the EFI 351w. That would be my first choice if i was going to change my hood. I would love to put the explorer stuff on it and run it like that but I am all but positive it wont fit under the stock hood without more body lift than I want.

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
... WHAT WOULD THE 351 BE SAVED Far ...
I Too am leaning toward the 5.0 in the Bronco .. I don't think they need 351's.
& Any hotrod will love the 351.

I have another long term Bronco project in the shop that would be more of a trail rig, dune runner that I would but the 351w in if I decide to go 5.0 in the 76.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would save the 351 for the trail rig then, if it's going to have bigger tires.
I like the idea of the 351 though, so don't get me wrong. But your decision to run 4.56 gears and only 31" tires just screams that the 351 would be a wasted upgrade.

I have that combination and it's almost not happy on the street in traffic. If you live in a calm area where there is little traffic, then it can go either way. But trying to merge into quick moving traffic with that gear ratio usually ends up in just spinning tires and smoke, with little forward movement. Just not going anywhere fast. You get pretty good at feathering the throttle then.
Tires that are not long for this world by the way...:cool:

In low range accelerating quickly and then letting off the gas typically results in four tires smoking going and coming. It fairly leaps forward, and then letting off the gas results in locked up ans squealing tires like I slammed on the brakes.
In high range you might not get the squeal from letting off the gas, but you still get more than enough when pushing the go pedal to make up for it.
I'd hate to see what it's doing in the axle wrap department!

Like I said, probably all wasted on a 351.

Paul

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I went from Explorer 5.0 with Mustang EFI and 4R70w to a 351w with Explorer EFI and same 4R70w.

I was very adverse to modified hood and body lift but finally accepted that a body lift (1-3/8” +/-) was inevetible. One day I will get the panels to fill the gaps in.

Meanwhile, happy as hell with the results !

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
I would save the 351 for the trail rig then, if it's going to have bigger tires.
I like the idea of the 351 though, so don't get me wrong. But your decision to run 4.56 gears and only 31" tires just screams that the 351 would be a wasted upgrade.

I have that combination and it's almost not happy on the street in traffic. If you live in a calm area where there is little traffic, then it can go either way. But trying to merge into quick moving traffic with that gear ratio usually ends up in just spinning tires and smoke, with little forward movement. Just not going anywhere fast. You get pretty good at feathering the throttle then.
Tires that are not long for this world by the way...:cool:

In low range accelerating quickly and then letting off the gas typically results in four tires smoking going and coming. It fairly leaps forward, and then letting off the gas results in locked up ans squealing tires like I slammed on the brakes.
In high range you might not get the squeal from letting off the gas, but you still get more than enough when pushing the go pedal to make up for it.
I'd hate to see what it's doing in the axle wrap department!

Like I said, probably all wasted on a 351.

Paul

Thanks for the response. So if I understand correctly you think the 4.56 gearing would be more suited for a 5.0 application?

There are two reasons that I was considering the 4.56 gearing. I am overall happy with the 3.50 gears and 31's that I have when running the highway. When I do the 4r70w conversion I took 4.56 gears and multiplied it by the final drive ratio of the trans (.70) and come up with 3.192 so the rpms at 65 with 4.56 gears and 31s would actually be a bit lower than 3.50 and 31s and my C4

The second reason is I have a fellow bronco guy that has a 4:56 third member with 31 spline Detroit that he is looking to sell very reasonably.

So I guess maybe I have a little more to add.

If I do the 351w maybe I will keep my C4 and run stock gears since the additional torque is available.

If I do the 5.0 then I would do the 4r70w and the 4:56 gears

Ultimately looking for the throttle response and the seat of your pants feeling

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm more and more convinced there is a problem with my 351w. EFI, C4, 4.11, and 33x12.50, just doesn't really throw me back in the seat.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I'm more and more convinced there is a problem with my 351w. EFI, C4, 4.11, and 33x12.50, just doesn't really throw me back in the seat.

You know why that is don't you?
It's just a wimpy little 351W, what you need is a 408 stroker. :p

I'm surprised no one has told the OP to get one yet.

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
You know why that is don't you?
It's just a wimpy little 351W, what you need is a 408 stroker. :p

I'm surprised no one has told the OP to get one yet.

I had a 427w in the last bronco I did. TOO much money broken parts its a never ending cycle. Fix on thing break the next... Granted it was a blast but at that stage in the game it just becomes a toy.

This bronco is stock. I want it to be a reliable driver. Something my wife and kids can drive and we can enjoy as a family.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I had a 427w in the last bronco I did. TOO much money broken parts its a never ending cycle. Fix on thing break the next... Granted it was a blast but at that stage in the game it just becomes a toy.

This bronco is stock. I want it to be a reliable driver. Something my wife and kids can drive and we can enjoy as a family.

The 5.0 Explorer swap is plenty for that Bronco.

Save the 351W for the trail Bronco build.

Some people on here think the answer is always 351W (or 408) no matter what the question is.

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
The 5.0 Explorer swap is plenty for that Bronco.

Save the 351W for the trail Bronco build.

Some people on here think the answer is always 351W (or 408) no matter what the question is.

No replacement for displacement right?? ;D;D

I agree with big strokers in certain applications but not with my wife behind the wheel!

SavageBurro

My recommendation is 351w. If you even think you might not be happy with the power of 5.0 after experiencing 351, then you're probably right. I've had stock 302s, built 302s, explorer 5.0, stock 351 and built 351. I loved the built 351 AND I got the best mpg's out of it 'cause I didn't need to put my foot hard into it to accelerate.

I am typically an advocate for lower gears and if you don't want high rpms on freeway, well just drive a little slower. However, if you do plan on a lot of highway speeds 65+ then you might consider 4.11s w 31s or go to a 32s?. That said 2500 rpms at 65 mph (31s, 4.56, 0.76od) is not horrible for a flying brick.

I think the lower gears and auto would be great around town, so long as you got the shift rpms the way you want em. That be my two cents.

ame

I have looked around a little and have not found any great resources on building a 351 with Explorer fuel injection, anyone know of a good place to read more about it? I tried search a few times but wasnt finding much.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have looked around a little and have not found any great resources on building a 351 with Explorer fuel injection, anyone know of a good place to read more about it? I tried search a few times but wasnt finding much.

It's pretty much the same as doing 302 EFI. You will need to find or make an adapter for the cam position sensor but that's about the only difference except for the tuning.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
dont forget you also need the lightning lower. a gt40 boat lower. or the BC adapter to put a mustang upper on the truck lower

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Look for the Lightning stuff. Its out there just have to have a little luck. Found mine after searching craigslist off and on for a year. EFI Guy did the tune and it ran fantastic right out of the box. Very happy! :)