• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972-73 owners-mind your P's and Q's

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How bout this for a late '72? P90015 (edit: 10/72 according to the very faded decal)

Light bars, T-shift, ambient sensor. Not sure about the return lines, manual or auto or anything else yet.

Paul

Last edited:

jray

I'll add mine, titled 1972. P89681 , light bars, T-shift, power steering, 3 speed, build date 10/72. Not sure about ambient sensor, don't think fuel return.

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think I'm caught up on this now.

Attachments

• Bronco VIN Production latest.pdf
    58.4 KB · Views: 48

adl3026

Loc.
Orlando, Fl
I'll add mine to the list. Its a 73 Hot Ginger Metallic Ranger. It was assembled on Oct 30, 1972, seven days behind schedule. It has the T bar shifter and no Ranger emblem on the dash. Also, the dash is painted body color. Serial # Q51614.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
I recently picked up a 73 Ginger Metallic Ranger. August of 1972 build. Dash is body color and has the T style t-case shifter and no Ranger emblem on the dash. Serial # Q02757.

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm caught up with the last few.

Also here's some additional information on build months for model years from a couple Ford service manuals. Notice that the consecutive unit numbers (sequence numbers) begin in August for each model year. That means if the Bronco was built in Sep '72 it is actually a '73 model. It doesn't really matter what the title says.

Attachments

58.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 1966_VIN_CODES[1].pdf
    210.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 1967_VIN_CODES[1].pdf
    178.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1974 VIN codes.pdf
    604.1 KB · Views: 9

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Build date January 1972
U15GLN46357
Three speed manual transmission
T shift
Dana 44
Small bearing rear end
Manual brakes and steering

Last edited:

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well if you're tracking Dash color and ranger emblems, my Q235XX had body dash color and no emblem on the glove box. Also large bearing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure if I did this one already or not, but it recently changed hands, so it came up again. U15GLQ54314 11/72

Light bars
Fuel return line
No ambient sensor, but has plug
Automatic Trans
T-shift (Forgot to actually make a note of that, so just going from memory) (edit: confirmed T-shift)

Kind of an oddball, with cloth interior including door panels and rear side panels, chrome trim around windows only (no top or doors), carpet with hold downs, dome light and headliner, but no Ranger, Explorer or even Sport badging.

Paul

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So, I've got a new category for this list. Sorry to add another layer of stuff, but I've been curious about under hood questions for a long time and am just now getting around to asking.

For those with these P's and Q's that still have relatively unmolested engine compartments, or that remember them before they were molested... What air cleaner and smog control stuff do you have?

For the stock air cleaner group, is it a straight round-ish open snorkel pointed at the radiator, or the rectangular shaped angled one pointed behind the battery with cold-air intake?

Regarding smog stuff, do/did you have EGR and other things hooked to vacuum tubes? Or just the dual-diaphragm distributor and that's about it?
What about a coolant recovery bottle on the passenger wheel well?

And last, does the carburetor linkage have the bell-crank stabilizer link attached to the firewall, or not? The '73 just listed above has original paint and no holes for the linkage. Just dimples you can barely see. Seen it before, but not very often that I remember.
Here's a pic of what I mean:
iPhone Pics 17 73EB 10122015 004 (Medium).jpg

Thanks. Sorry for the late addition to the questions, but I'd love to hear from owners of stock-ish engine compartments.

Paul

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Not sure if I did this one already or not, but it recently changed hands, so it came up again. U15GLQ54314 11/72

Light bars
Fuel return line
No ambient sensor, but has plug
Automatic Trans
T-shift (Forgot to actually make a note of that, so just going from memory)

Kind of an oddball, with cloth interior including door panels and rear side panels, chrome trim around windows only (no top or doors), carpet with hold downs, dome light and headliner, but no Ranger, Explorer or even Sport badging.

Paul

Sounds like an early (no glovebox badge) ranger. Chrome vent windows and window trim were only available on sport or ranger. Ranger package did not include sport emblems.

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So, I've got a new category for this list. Sorry to add another layer of stuff, but I've been curious about under hood questions for a long time and am just now getting around to asking.

For those with these P's and Q's that still have relatively unmolested engine compartments, or that remember them before they were molested... What air cleaner and smog control stuff do you have?

For the stock air cleaner group, is it a straight open snorkel pointed at the radiator, or the angled one pointed behind the battery with cold-air intake?

Regarding smog stuff, do/did you have EGR and other things hooked to vacuum tubes? Or just the dual-diaphragm distributor and that's about it?

And last, does the carburetor linkage have the bell-crank stabilizer link attached to the firewall, or not? The '73 just listed above has original paint and no holes for the linkage. Just dimples you can barely see. Seen it before, but not very often that I remember.
Here's a pic of what I mean:
View attachment 377831

Thanks. Sorry for the late addition to the questions, but I'd love to hear from owners of stock-ish engine compartments.

Paul

A simpler way to describe the air cleaner duct is either round or rectangular opening. The rectangular one connects to the cold air hose. The round one went away sometime in '72.

Here is a picture of the throttle linkage you described. It also went away sometime in '72 and became simpler. This is on N46357.

Attachments

• IMG_3604.jpg
    IMG_3604.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 71
    58.8 KB · Views: 4