• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

windsheild wiper Troubles

tedhas7

I have a 1977 bronco. When the windshield wipers are turned off, the point straight down and are across the windshield. If you turn them on, then they go up so removing the arms and putting them in the proper location would not seem to work as they would go up against the top. What do I need to do to get them to stop at the proper location.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
It sounds as if the arm is clocked wrong on the wiper motor. Beings your park position is in the same spot every time like it should be. Might want to have a look.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Does it have a drop wiper bracket? if it does the wiper motor will be pointed to the passenger side of the Bronco, if not then the stock location has the wiper motor pointed to the drivers side.

if there is a drop bracket then the little arm on the end of the motor that the actual linkage hooks up to needs to be clocked 180* and that should fix it.

needsmoarturbo

It sounds as if the arm is clocked wrong on the wiper motor. Beings your park position is in the same spot every time like it should be. Might want to have a look.

I think this sounds like the place to look. If you can flip the short arm that mounts to the motor 180 that should fix it, but I don't know if the shaft is keyed to allow this?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're not sure about the drop bracket thing that Crush was talking about and can't post pics yet, there's a fairly easy way to tell.
First, if the bearing end of the motor is pointing over to the passenger side, it's been flipped for a soft top or bikini top.

Of course, if you have a Kayline/STC/Rampage top on it now, then it's pretty much a given that the motor has been flipped and dropped for top clearance.
Lots of installers don't get that last little step that requires them to remove the nut holding the short arm, rotating said arm 180° and putting it back on.

Should work. Typical Bronco thing...
And speaking of Bronco things... Do you know about the "Pull-For-Heat" thing?;D
Had to ask. It'll be coming around again in a few months when the weather gets colder anyway.
If this is not your first Bronco, then you probably know about it.

Paul

OP
OP
T

tedhas7

The bronco has a hard top on it know but when I bought it there was a soft top that came with it so assuming at some point the soft top was on the bronco. So what you are saying about it having been flipped could make perfect sense.

This is bronco #3 for me but never had to work on the wipers before for something like this. Bronco #1 broke a bolt in the wipers and just replaced it but Bronco #1 was in early 90's and was a 1976. Bronco 2 was completely restored, but I took lots of pictures and just put the wipers back in the way the pictures showed. Bronco #3 is the one with the wiper issues but I am identifying all the issues before I start tearing into it and getting ideas of what I will need to do to fix the problems. So thanks to all you guys, i think I have an idea of what to do to fix the wipers now once I tear into them. Your expertise and responses are much appreciated.

I do know about the pull for heat thing. Thinking by the time that is needed, I will put a new vintage air system in with heat and AC so won't have to worry with the factory heat

Thanks again

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What they said.

Pull the wiper motor off. Unbolt the arm, Spin 180° (it is a rectangle index and only goes on 2 ways). Put it together.

All fixed.