• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wild Horses tube door striker post project.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I did this project today. Maybe it will be useful to someone else. I have had the Wild Horses tube doors for a few years and in my opinion, they are the best looking and functioning tube doors available. I have mine on removable hinges. Anyway, they come with replacement door striker bolt assembly that bolts easily up to the OEM internal threaded plate. I am not sure what the new striker bolt is from. Maybe Paul knows, but it is thicker and shorter than the OEM, I think. To be clear, it works 100% fine and as intended. There are 2 problems that I had with it, and maybe it was just me. When you swing it closed the metal-on-metal catch/striker clanged loud as shit. That I didn't really care about at all, but the issue I had is my passenger side would vibrate and rattle at idle because of metal on metal and it plucked my OCD nerves...I don't know why because everything else on a Bronco squeaks and rattles, but this irritated me.

So, I was thinking about more modern tailgates and such and I did some researching and the diameter of the metal striker bolt where it engages with the WH door latch is the same diameter as a 1986 F150 door striker bolt WITH the plastic bushing included. I got two of the Doorman #38421 Ford striker bolts (7/16-14) (they fit lots of mid 80s Fords)
and realized they are too long and hit the WH latch. But if you get a 7/16-14 die and run threads up the unthreaded part to the shouldered area, delete the washer, put the plastic bushing back on and thread it into the WH triangle shaped striker bolt plate, the doors now close with a clunk vs a clang but more importantly, the rattle at idle from vibrations is gone. I hope the pics explain it. I think it was about $25 total for a pair of strikers.

20240224_154320.jpg 20240224_152929.jpg 20240224_152820.jpg 20240224_154127.jpg 20240224_154214.jpg