• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What’s needed to swap in a RAN 3 speed transmission to a 6 cylinder 170 cid engine

normsbronco

I’m considering a RAN 3 speed transmission swap and mating it to a 170cid
6 cylinder engine. If there’s anyone who knows what’s needed to do such a conversion and willing to share their knowledge, I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you…

normsbronco

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I don't think there's anything to this swap .. Unless I'm miss reading this post ..
... But someone will correct me fast if I'm wrong.
You might give us a little more info ABOUT YOUR Bronco & even why your swapping .
....I don't believe it'll matter which trans you have. But you may have to also have the Transfer case that goes with that trans also.
.....Where are you located.... these old RAN & RAT Trans a lot of the members on here have one or some laying in storage.
... I have a couple myself .. Price wont be to bad but shipping on them is a killer .
........ & I believe also this is you perfect time to swap into a better trans .
I put in the NP435 years ago . On;y problem with it ... Is it's not an over drove.
But the 3 speeds don't have a slow enough 1st gear. While I believe my NP435 is something like 4:45 to 1 in 1st.
.... I believe my 435 cost me $75.00 there was an Aluminum adapter to buy it was app. 250.00 & you also have to have a different tail housing adapter . Another 125.00 .
& of course you'll most likely need new clutch .
.... Lot of people used to do this swap.
.Today most have moved to one of the 5 speeds but Those swaps are more expensive in my opinion..
P.S. It was said that old NP435 was never bad ... & I believe that due to some of the abuse I've seen these old truck go through back when I was in the parts business 1967 to 1995.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I’m considering a RAN 3 speed transmission swap and mating it to a 170cid
6 cylinder engine. If there’s anyone who knows what’s needed to do such a conversion and willing to share their knowledge, I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you…

normsbronco

This comes down to a single basic thing you need to know about the transmissions. If you're using a V8 transmission, the output shaft will be too long to use behind the six cylinder engine. If you're using a six cylinder transmission, it will bolt right up. The letters mean nothing in terms of the transmissions being compatible with anything, it's the length of the output shafts based on whether they were originally behind a V8 or six cylinder. You need a six cylinder transmission with the shorter output shaft in order for the mounting points to line up with the cross member holes in the frame.