• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What to do with my Aug. '65 built Bronco?

hightime

I already know I'd be a fool to alter it, although I want a modded out one, I'll do that on a different project. It needs paint. It was light blue with white 1/2 cab, steel wheels with no caps.
What is off: oak dash, no radio, aluminum rims, wrong front bumper, sun roof, a little rust on the inside kick plates and a small hole under a door, wrong mirror, I think. It was repainted years ago, inside and out.
What's great: original body parts, mostly rust free, 64,000 mile 170, the original motor, all the glass , even has the dates on the windshield. Frame is not pitted at all.
If I do a total restoration, am I screwing up anything? Once I sand blast and paint the frame, it's kinda like a poor shape one brought back from near death.
Right now I might just have a new black paint job and leave everything else the same. At least I won't be screwing anything up.
Your thoughts?
Owen

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
In my opinion, given its a real early build, a restoration would be in order. Again, in my opinion, sand blasting and painting the frame would NOT "screw anything up." Now, I would try to make things look stock/new as possible (not make the frame shiny), but that is me. Good luck!!!

Last edited:

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Have any pics? It is hard to judge without seeing it.

Early builds and stockers are really popular right now. It really depends on what all has been done to it.

A true restoration is an expensive proposition. If it isn't really what you want, I would fix the issues it has getting it as original as possible and use it to fund the build you really want.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ohhh nice truck. If you do a total resto I think you'd be doing the truck justice:) Id blast what needs blasting, repair sheet metal where needed. I'd paint it back original color light blue, wimbledon white half cab. Satin black frame, axles etc underneath. I'd paint the wheels Wimbledon white and find some nice 66 hubcaps. I'd put the original style white stripes on the rockers below the door. Paint engine bay body color and paint engine block blue, etc. Keep stock suspension, stock tires.....or if u wanna get a little crazy..put a 2 1/2" suspension lift with some 30 x 9.50 x 15 mud terrains. Stock silver interior either bench seat or buckets. Silver stock dash and door panels. I'd make a nice driver out of it, plus it would be worth some $$ too:)

Blue71

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
haha, another vote for pics.

Restoration would be great I'm thinking.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you restore it then you wont drive it. Do you want a Bronco you can drive or one you can look at and wish you had one you can drive? Got room and funds for a second one?

Personally I would trade it off for one you can drive. Sell that sucker while the getting is good. The high end Bronco bubble wont last forever.

OP
OP
H

hightime

Do I need to send a picture to someplace to get a url? I thought there was a way to put one on here direct from my files.
You both have good points. I would however like to drive it about two hundred miles a year. And sometimes that's on dirt back roads. As it is, I wash out any dust afterwards and try hard to not have it rust and not drive in when wet out. I think I will just try to gradually eliminate the non stock items and paint the outside black again. mostly because the inner paint is black and looks pretty good for now. I'll use it for our joy rides. maybe work on another one I have that is rough, a Jan, '66 1/2 cab. I'll probably do a full restoration on that one, because it needs it. knowing full well the my black one is the real beauty because it isn't redone.
Thank you for you opinions. I hope you don't get offended if I take a different route.