• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Washed Explorer EFI engine - ideas to check?

EBGeek

Afternoon, all. As I've done countless times before, I washed my engine (Explorer EFI setup) as I've done countless times but this time I apparently killed something. It's running like absolute crap, puking fuel due to running super rich and won't idle. I've let it sit multiple days, ran it and got it hot a couple times, left the hood open and tried letting it dry out to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas of things to check? I'm at my wits end and my mechanic can't get to it for weeks...

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Check codes
This ^^^^

Also in my experience the one thing that will make it run like that, if it runs at all, is water in the MAF element. It doesn't take much, as I learned the hard way. I have a cone air filter on mine. These days I remove it and use a plastic bag and a couple of rubber bands to seal it prior to washing.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
This ^^^^

Also in my experience the one thing that will make it run like that, if it runs at all, is water in the MAF element. It doesn't take much, as I learned the hard way. I have a cone air filter on mine. These days I remove it and use a plastic bag and a couple of rubber bands to seal it prior to washing.
This ^^^^

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Thanks for the advice guys I'll check the MAF and clear/check in he codes again...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If it is the MAF, unplug it. It will go into limp mode and run decent. The computer knows what to do with missing information a lot better than wrong information.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

You guys are the freaking best... I unplugged the MAF and boom it ran smooth as silk. I'll replace it tomorrow but now I remember having to replace the MAF in a parts store parking lot (filter loose got it dirty and nearly wouldn't run) so I replaced it in a pince with some offbrand parts store MAF... And this might've been the first deep clean since replacing it, so 1) it might've gotten water intrusion due to it being crap (whereas I had no issue before - who knows) and 2) it might be best replaced with an OEM one... So this might've been a blessing in disguise... Thanks again all!