• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

vacuum wiper rebuild

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
ihave always been attracted to archaic technology- my 8 track collection, my 70's sansui, the old arcade rom emulators on my mac. so when i got vacuum wipers on my latest bronco, i thought they were really cool. but they work like crap. ive tried the rebuild tech artical, but all that really shows is how to clean and regrease them. is there a rebuild kit with what ever valves and seals need to be changed? i want to do the vacuum reservior- what exactly does a check valve do? any suggestions from people still using the vacuum wipers would be great. thanks.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Joe, to use the vacuum wipers the way FORD made them , you need to buy a fuel pump for the wipers. It has a suction pump thing on it so when the truck is running, the wipers get their own vacuum. I ran them without the pump and they slow down to nothing when you step on the gas. If you go junkyarding and buy a vacuum tank from something ( maybe a Lincoln ) they will work much better. If you ever get up this way I will GIVE you some electric wipers and I probably have the harness too. :)

OP
OP
J

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
i realydo like the vacuum ones. i actually have a full electric set up, and if i cant get these going properly, ill use that. it does seem the way to go is to bite the bullet and get that vacuum fuel pump.i noticed my milage has dropped from 15 to under 10 mpg since i put this motor in the new bronco.i bet the wipers have something to do with it, at least if vacuum is important to fuel economy.

OP
OP
J

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
im sure all those rust holes cut back nicely on the GVW. im also more likely to floor it when im not aftraid something will fall off.

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
I'm running vacuum wipers. Did you just read the tech article or actually do it? In my case, I had two frozen units which after a thorough cleaning and regreasing are running excellently. There's only one gasket if I remember right. Be careful with it and you can reuse it. Tips I can offer: Note the placement of the slider valve on top, it can accidently be put in backwards. Use all new rubber hose, the slightest leak has a big effect. put a dab of grease on anything that moves; the slider valve, the rocking linkage, pivot shaft etc.
I was not able to use the correct fuel pump 'cause power steering is in the way, so I played with storage tanks and check valves and remote vacuum pumps etc. Wasn't satisfied with any of it, so I live with the occasional lack-o-wipe on a hill. There are plusses to vacs though. They're rather quiet and the passenger can get involved if they feel they want their own wipage goin' on. Also, I like the looks from people who've never seen out of sync blades. = :eek: :eek: :eek: