• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tranny shop screwing up stuff?

digmy76

My rig doesn't start sometimes, unless I push the column shifter on the C4 up beyond the "P" a little bit. I have had a new neutral safety switch put on (thinking that was the problem), but it still does it. The tranny shop said that the rebuild of the tranny wouldn't have changed any thing in the linkage. Is this true? If not I need to be armed with some facts from you guys, in order to explain to them what could have happened and what adjustments they should do to correct it. I think they are trying to make this look like some unrelated problem so they don't have to fix it as warranty work!:mad:

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
mine does it too was wondering if it was related to the lift kit.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:eek: :eek: :eek: You need to adjust the safty switch it is off a little should work in P and N with out messing with it.:eek: :eek: :eek: Bill 8) %) :p

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
If your Neutral Safety Switch is worn or not adjusted properly you will have the condition you describe. There is a procedure for adjusting the NSS that you might try first before replacing the switch.

1) Chock wheels, set parking brake, and put trans in neutral.
2) Loosen NSS mounting bolts.
3) Find the adjusting hole on the side of the switch, it is approx. 3/32” diameter and just about ½” to 3/4" above the NSS pivot point.
4) Install a pin, drill bit or nail into the hole, this will be used as your adjustment tool. You may need to rotate the NSS on the shifter shaft slightly to be able to insert the pin.
5) Once the pin is inserted tighten the two ¼”x20 mounting bolts, then remove the pin.
6) Check operation by cranking the motor in neutral and park. The motor should only crank in these 2 ranges. This same switch also operates your back-up lights when you shift to reverse.

If the trans shop installed the trans, it is their responsibility to make sure the switch and linkage is adjusted properly. That's the difference between Ouality and Half-Assed workmanship.
~BH

Last edited:
OP
OP
digmy76

digmy76

wildbill said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: You need to adjust the safty switch it is off a little should work in P and N with out messing with it.:eek: :eek: :eek: Bill 8) %) :p

I have a new NSS and it is adjusted as well as possible, but it still needs a little push on the column shifter sometimes to get it started. I there some other adjustment other than the NSS that can be made to fix this annoying problem. Also, the tranny shop said that when they adjusted it enough that it doesnt have the starting problem it will sometimes not really be in gear when in P and it will roll???