• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tires too big

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
Free play was 1 1/2" and travel was 6 1/4". The transfer case shifter was in 4L yesterday when all this went on. I now have it in 2H and it did better. I didn't want to get too fast as the steering is all over the place. That is next on the agenda to take care of. I am putting power steering on when I get all the parts ordered.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Steering being all over the place is common on EB's that have been improperly molested. Happens a lot, so a common thread around here.

Power is nice, and a new box will be tight at least for itself. But you'll still have to make sure that the linkage is set up properly, the suspension is set up properly, all bushings are good, all mounts are tight, all angles proper, alignment specifications adhered to (within a certain range) and tires are in good shape and properly inflated.

Other than that, not much to worry about.;D

Paul

hucklburry rev2

A complete front end bushing kit is like $50 from the vendors, I am ordering one for a recent 66 I got. It might not need all of them, but I'll do it this winter so I know what I have and that they are good.

That little 6 is pushing some big tires, adding power steering will rob a little power.

I have a 66 with the 170, on wide 31s, seems like a good enough combo, I need to drive it more to tell. I don't think I'd add power steering as she needs the power she has, but I don't have 35s.

The V8 swap requires new engine mounts welded onto the frame, and some drivetrain issues as the 6cyl adapter is a different length for the transfer case, so you have to get the trans/transfer case lined back up.

You can research bigger 6 cyl swaps. A 200 is a drop in, and a 250 is almost drop in, and that is a lot more cubic inches with good torque. I ran across a 250 for cheap so I grabbed it, it can sit while I plan what I want to do, but I really like driving a 6 cylinder Bronco (but I have a 69 with a V8 that I can play with too).

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Power steering was a must for me since my manual box had so much slack in it and it couldn't be adjusted anymore. It was dangerous. When I bought the PS kit and had it installed it was a whole new Bronco almost. I bought the Delphi box so it felt great, a little sporty even.

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
Wow Paul you make it sound so easy!! LOL!!;D

norm02

Free play was 1 1/2" and travel was 6 1/4". The transfer case shifter was in 4L yesterday when all this went on. I now have it in 2H and it did better. I didn't want to get too fast as the steering is all over the place. That is next on the agenda to take care of. I am putting power steering on when I get all the parts ordered.

How big of a difference did the correct t-case setting make? Were you able to drive around town fairly easily with out straining the engine and clutch?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
This is what Duff had in their catalog back in the day

Attachments

• 14702485056641218897550.jpg
    14702485056641218897550.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
Putting the t-case in 2H instead of 4L made a huge difference. I think once I get the steering corrected things will be much better. There was not a strain on the engine like before.