• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tailgate inside spare mount bracket

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Help.

I am working on a 1967 Bronco with the spare tire attached to the inside of the tailgate. There is a bracket that attaches the tire to the tailgate. Does anyone know what the inside support plate looks like? Evidently, it has two studs attached to it and is installed reaching thru the handle opening.

I'm happy to buy one, or if someone could post a pic, I think I can clone it. But I don't know what it looks like.

Thanks!

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Here’s a pic….
8042cd51ac8ac1405cf6eacd54bf210b.jpg

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Always wondered what the tailgate tire holder looked like. Now I’m not sure if I want to do that or use the bulkhead attachment point. What a quandary to be in. Lol

Randy

OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Always wondered what the tailgate tire holder looked like. Now I’m not sure if I want to do that or use the bulkhead attachment point. What a quandary to be in. Lol

Randy
The tailgate interior mount is cumbersome, occupies valuable space, and prevent use of the tailgate for it's primary purpose...which is sitting on.

My 1967 U13 Military Roadster came from the factory with a tailgate tire holder. So my decision is easy.

But if you have a 67 with a tailgate tire...where does the jack, the tire iron and jack handle go?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
The tailgate interior mount is cumbersome, occupies valuable space, and prevent use of the tailgate for its primary purpose...which is sitting on.

Can’t argue with that! It does make for a convenient place to have a meal!

if you have a 67 with a tailgate tire...where does the jack, the tire iron and jack handle go?

Don’t have a 66 or 67 so not sure where the jack and all go. The 72 I used to own and my current 77 had the PLACE for all that under the hood. Do not have that stuff that goes there, but that’s neither here nor there.

Randy

OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
The jack handle and lug wrench mount behind the driver seat. The jack mounts inside the spare tire with a weirdly shaped one year only hook.
So the jack is basically the same mounting if the tire is on the bulkhead, or the inside tailgate? I wonder where they put if if you had an exterior spare tire mount?

I've still got one little tab welded to the body for the jack handle. But I think there should be 2. I'll have to look at yours when I see you next time.

Thanks!

OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
It does not. The jack mounted inside the spare tire rim with a weirdly shaped one year only hook in '67.
Pictures PLEASE!!! I might actually already have the hardware. I hate to chase those kinds of parts and realize after I buy replacements, that I already have mine.

Would really appreciate a pic of the hook, and of the jack handle / lug wrench when stored.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Super helpful! I've never seen such a thing. And if I saw a bolt like that in the shop, I would have probably tried to straighten it, or throw it away.

(But I DO have that odd shaped wing nut...) Thanks!
Doesn’t look like it would be too awfully hard to make a bolt like that. Just need the threaded end fit the wing nut.

Randy