• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter solenoid wiring problem

Jangel

I’m trying to hook up my new TBP starter and the instructions have the starter lead being moved to the battery side of the starter solenoid. My problem is that I’ve already have the battery cable, the wire from my 3G alternator, and the now the starter cable and it won’t fit? How can I fix this?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it will reach, relocate the alternator output directly to the battery lug, and then run the starter cable to the battery side of the solenoid/relay.

If that doesn't work, then it sounds like a terminal stud is in your future.
In theory at least, you can run the starter straight to the battery and eliminate your starter relay altogether. However, sometimes that leads to some feedback and starter run-on issues (some get it, some don't), and you lose that convenient spot where all your wires go.
So for some, losing the relay is not an option.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another possibility. Does your relay/solenoid have two nuts on it? On some you can get away with removing the lower nut, which would give you a lot more room to attach wires.
Careful though. Some relays require that lower nut just to hold the stud secure! So if you decide to test that theory, just loosen it and see if the stud comes loose too. If so, tighten it back up and go back to Plan-B.

Paul

OP
OP
J

Jangel

I'll take a look tonight, but it looks like the terminal stud would be the easiest.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...the battery cable, the wire from my 3G alternator, and the now the starter cable and it won’t fit?
The stud isn't long enough for 3 ring terminals? Was it cut off? I'd just get a new starter relay with longer studs. While you're at it, you could convert to the newer style relay, which is much more reliable. I have at least 6 rings on mine, including Batt, Alt, Winch, Truck, AuxFuses, Blower.

Another option is to solder the heavy cables into a new battery + clamp, leaving only the small ones on the relay post.

I'd avoid the remote stud for any of the 3 circuits you mentioned - that's a lot of load for all those connections. In any case, remember to clean all the rings AND the stud thoroughly, and apply a little ELECTRICAL grease to them (not DIelectric).