• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Schmerler Ford License Plate Frame

GregP

Hello all. I have a '76 Bronco that was originally sold thru Schmerler Ford (Elk Grove, IL). It's very stock, even down to having the Schmerler Ford dealer decal on the back. Schmerler is out of business now, but was wondering if anyone had a lead on a dealer license plate frame from Schmerler? Thanks.

69_Sport

There's a gentleman on the 1969-1970 Boss 302 Owners and Enthusiasts forum on Facebook that will reproduce any Ford dealer license plate frames.
His name is Brad Barrie.
Search for him on that forum.
Doug

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Greg, welcome to classicbroncos.
I got lucky and found all three of the dealer plate frames I needed in local Craigslist ads over a few month period. Even found a pair from the old dealer that used to be where Wild Horses is now.
Sounds like you're not local to the old dealer location, but you might still be able to search that region's Craigslist ads either directly or through one of the "search bots" (if that's what they're called?) that help hunt things down.

Good luck. Hope you find one.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hello all. I have a '76 Bronco that was originally sold thru Schmerler Ford (Elk Grove, IL). It's very stock, even down to having the Schmerler Ford dealer decal on the back. Schmerler is out of business now, but was wondering if anyone had a lead on a dealer license plate frame from Schmerler? Thanks.

Post up Pics Greg and welcome aboard...

Kbpony

You may try searching where that dealership went. Rarely do dealerships just fold up and go away. Some other dealership probably took over, and maybe another after that. You may find prior employees from that dealership still employed by a local dealership today that may have a private collection?

broncojack

Contributor
Schmerler Ford was right in my area.
He was known for his commercials on TV as the singing Ford Man.

Post up some pictures, I'd like to see a survivor from my area,(DSO 41)

E-Bay is your best bet to find a frame.

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Northwest Suburbs, Chicago
I grew up in Itasca (I now live in Arlington Heights) and remember Schmerler Ford well. I remember their commercials as well. If you Illinois-based Bronco folks ever want to do a get together, let me know and I will try and plan something, Sorry for the hijack.

OP
OP
GregP

GregP

Thanks for the suggestions! Gives me some good ideas. I am part of the SAAC forum as well and have a lead on someone in the area that had some Schmerler stuff in the past. Fingers crossed. I will upload some pics shortly. Currently have the engine out doing rebuild and while I was at it replacing the original carpet that's pretty much worn out. Should be back on the road in ~ 4 weeks.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Is the decal the same now as it was in '76? I bought my '77 at Sessler Ford in Libertyville Ill. and they're still in business. It would be kind of neat to get another.