• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reinforcing frame horns and frame

joshua

Contributor
I would like to tie these frame horn reinforcement pieces into some plates I want to weld onto the sides of my frame. Front and back ending at each cross member.
These are for the frame horn reinforcement parts
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/mobile/Bumper-Reiforcement-Tabs-Set-of-4/productinfo/15099/

I really don’t know what this bronco will be in the end. Hardcore or just a cruiser. But I do know I don’t want to be worried about the frame horns tearing off being winched straight up something if that’s where build goes. And the body is off right now.

I need to replace both bottom horns in the rear. I ordered some horns off eBay. I plan to put the frame reinforcement in after these are installed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2256441684...d=link&campid=5335857059&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

I also want a bumper that’s carries a tire, and plating would help with that load. 1/8 inch is what I’m thinking. The black is the product from Jeff’s. Red would be the plating, shown in the picture. I want the Jeff’s product on top not inside. That way bumper brackets wouldn’t be a problem, and it would allow me to tie them into the plate. The plate would also go along the sides of my repaired lower frame horns making that repair much stronger.

Was hoping to hear from someone who has taken this route. I don’t have a gas tank yet so I’m worried about fitment there. I was planning on cutting all the same holes out of the plate that are on the frame. As for the spring perch and shock mounts, was just planning on cutting very close to them. Welding right on those welds or right on the edge, tying right into those to make one continuous piece.

Also asking is this even a good plan? Because idk. But it’s what came to mind.
I kinda searched frame horn repair and frame platting. Didn’t see much. And the one problem with this site is your pictures disappear after your contributor status runs out.

So when you look back at people’s old posts half the pictures are gone. They probably sold their bronco or actually finished it and are not on here much anymore. I need pictures to see how things are done. Sorry got a little off course there. Anyway.

Black is Jeff’s reinforcement and red would be the plate.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4551.jpeg
    IMG_4551.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4556.png
    IMG_4556.png
    797.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I also want a bumper that’s carries a tire, and plating would help with that load. 1/8 inch is what I’m thinking.
I’m thinking that 1/8” material is not thick enough… but I’ve told that everything I build is over built. If you’re gonna build a bumper completely out of 1/8” material I don’t believe it will be of sufficient strength to take the pounding it’s gonna take. Just my $0.02 worth.

Randy

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
everything you reinforce, imparts a weak spot at the end of the reinforcement. Best technique i have seen is to tube the bolt holes so you dont crush the frame while tightening. EB frame is pretty soft. but as a structure, pretty strong yet flexible

Last edited:

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
1/8” wall is def too thin IMO for a bumper especially if you’re going to mount a real bumper / winch / recovery points.

I use 3/16” wall square tube with through welded recovery tabs. My winch plate ties into the frame and bumper.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
I’m thinking that 1/8” material is not thick enough… but I’ve told that everything I build is over built. If you’re gonna build a bumper completely out of 1/8” material I don’t believe it will be of sufficient strength to take the pounding it’s gonna take. Just my $0.02 worth.

Randy
Sorry I’m terrible at describing stuff. I’m not building a bumper. I’m trying to strengthen the frame from the horns back to each cross member of the frame.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
1/8” wall is def too thin IMO for a bumper especially if you’re going to mount a real bumper / winch / recovery points.

I use 3/16” wall square tube with through welded recovery tabs. My winch plate ties into the frame and bumper.
I was told it’s pointless to weld a thicker material to a frame. But maybe that was for repairing it.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Sorry I’m terrible at describing stuff. I’m not building a bumper. I’m trying to strengthen the frame from the horns back to each cross member of the frame.

Why do you feel the frame needs strengthening if you’re not going to drop a big bumper or winch onto it?

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Why do you feel the frame needs strengthening if you’re not going to drop a big bumper or winch onto it?
Sorry. That may be in the future. I was just explaining at this time I’m not building a bumper rn. But yes the frame reinforcement is for a heavy bumper. I just thought speed dr had misinterpreted what I was working on at the moment. Thinking it was about building a bumper out of 1/8 inch plate.

When in fact the post is about preparing the frame for a large bumper and heavy pulling forces.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
These frames a pretty strong. Assuming it’s in good condition, they’re 1/8” wall. Last one I built used a 2”x4” tube slip-fit into the frame horns long enough to have a couple 1/2” bolts on the top, bottom and side. I think the 2x4 went into the frame maybe 3-4”

I used that configuration for a 2x4 3/16 wall square tube for the main bumper with an 8274 mounted on top with 3/4” thick tabs through welded into the bumper face. Worked fine for recovering other and pulling myself out.

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Don't bother with your energy there. Just get yourself a Bailie blit bumper and bolt them on. The 3/8" tongues built into bumper go into the frame horns about a foot in and it helps stiffen up the frame.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s one solution for sure. But just to be clear here, and bring something up that I haven’t read about in awhile, it was once extremely, annoyingly common, for bumpers to rip off the ends of the frame rails of Broncos.
Whether being pulled, yanked, or winched from, it was not a rare occurrence to rip out the unenforced bolt holes in the frame horns.
So it’s not without precedent for someone wanting to add a simple reinforcement.
Maybe it’s not the ultimate solution, or maybe it’s more than enough. But it’s not out of line to be thinking about it for possible future use.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
That’s one solution for sure. But just to be clear here, and bring something up that I haven’t read about in awhile, it was once extremely, annoyingly common, for bumpers to rip off the ends of the frame rails of Broncos.
Whether being pulled, yanked, or winched from, it was not a rare occurrence to rip out the unenforced bolt holes in the frame horns.
So it’s not without precedent for someone wanting to add a simple reinforcement.
Maybe it’s not the ultimate solution, or maybe it’s more than enough. But it’s not out of line to be thinking about it for possible future use.
Yes especially since in the rear, both lower frame horns will be removed with replacements welded on.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Sorry. That may be in the future. I was just explaining at this time I’m not building a bumper rn. But yes the frame reinforcement is for a heavy bumper. I just thought speed dr had misinterpreted what I was working on at the moment. Thinking it was about building a bumper out of 1/8 inch plate.

When in fact the post is about preparing the frame for a large bumper and heavy pulling forces.
You are correct in that I did indeed misinterpret what you were doing. My bad.

Randy

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
These frames a pretty strong. Assuming it’s in good condition, they’re 3/16” wall. Last one I built used a 2”x4” tube slip-fit into the frame horns long enough to have a couple 1/2” bolts on the top, bottom and side. I think the 2x4 went into the frame maybe 3-4”

I used that configuration for a 2x4 3/16 wall square tube for the main bumper with an 8274 mounted on top with 3/4” thick tabs through welded into the bumper face. Worked fine for recovering other and pulling myself out.
I thought the frame was 1/8 inch wall?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
nah it's pretty thin, like 3/32nd maybe? Maybe less. Claimed at 1/8th, but none of mine were that thick, and they were not rusty. Maybe the 40 years of grease made them look 1/8th

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
nah it's pretty thin, like 3/32nd maybe? Maybe less. Claimed at 1/8th, but none of mine were that thick, and they were not rusty. Maybe the 40 years of grease made them look 1/8th
Ok, because mine is definitely not 3/16s
Was a little concerned for a second.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
clearly I was mis-remembering. Fixing my post for accuracy.
I think everyone figured that. And as stated before. I’m awful at writing this stuff out so it makes sense. Like kindergartener doing the S.A.T.s while drunk kinda terrible.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The frame is ~0.120" (~7ga), so 1/8" (0.125") is thicker than the frame, which means it's plenty thick enough as a doubler/fish plate. As a bumper, you'd have to be REALLY good with your design & fabrication for it to be strong enough.

But instead of using flat plate on the outside, it's better IMO to use 2 2" square 1/8"-wall tubes inside the frame as the start of a bumper (front OR rear).

(click this text)

Last edited: