• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Quarter Replacement - Best Method

ShoeSlinger

I am replacing the rear quarter panel and am looking for the best method for attaching. I am considering 3M adhesive held with sheet metal screws. Then weld up the screw holes after. Sound right?

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
That way would probably work as long as it's a tight enough fit,my way was to lift the truck almost off the ground lol while my buddy spot welded the panel on the inside. Then move over a notch and go again,and so forth and so forth, I know this is not the preferred method but when your anxious to get it done and you don't give a shit, you just do it any ol way you can lol. It worked out great tho, it was a super tight fit lol :p

Attac

Contributor
Shoeslinger
PM rydog. He has some experience with panel bond. He used it for some of his complete body build. He can give you firsthand account from someone doing this for the first time by someone who doesn't do this professionally.
Chuck

1971BroncoSport

I used 3M panel adhesive and sheet metal screws to pull into place

As for fit - I had to put at bolt and nut through end of panel to get alignment at the tail light seam while the adhesive cured. As much as I tweaked the panel before bonding - it wasn’t perfect at the top of the rear seam without convincing. (In the photo the joint between upper and lower quarter panel and the tail light housing)

I wouldn’t weld the screw holes because you are going to heat up the adhesive unnecessarily. I would just fill the holes with the adhesive after the bead holding the panel sets up. The adhesive is rock solid when it dries.

Weld the front and rear of the panel. Not top edge.

My 2 cents

Attachments

• 764FED46-CCBB-4F38-9DFE-0F6C1BEC1A2E.jpg
    764FED46-CCBB-4F38-9DFE-0F6C1BEC1A2E.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 8BEC6D78-F151-4F64-85C2-D1722421246F.jpg
    8BEC6D78-F151-4F64-85C2-D1722421246F.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 152
OP
OP
S

ShoeSlinger

1971 BroncoSport,

Great advice. Now to find an 18" bodylift for the rotisserie. ;D

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
My 2Cents, if your going to weld afterwards you might as well skip the panel bond and just weld it. The heat from welding can actually melt the adhesive. If your going the panel bond route You'll still have to fill and smooth the holes from your screws and usually that requires filling them with the panel bond, not welding. If you suck at welding - panel bond it, if you're good at welding or can do basic plug and spot welds, just weld it!