• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RAT trans issue

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Seems the shifter lever came out of the shifter fork. Is there a way to get it back in without pulling and dismantling the transmission? The transmission is installed in a rolling chassis.

Attachments

• shifterFork.jpg
    shifterFork.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 62

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I don't have an answer for you, but your bronco is looking great! I can't wait to see her when she's done!

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Thanks Night!

Unfortunately, fishing around isn't cutting it. Somehow that lever came out. Hoping there's a way to get it back in without pulling everything out. Also hoping someone who rebuilds these things can jump in.

armynavy17

Contributor
When I rebuilt mine I think I remember being able to move them around pretty far, not sure if I should have been able to or not. I'd try shifting into what I seem to remember 1st being. The left shift fork in the pic would have to go 1 "click" to the left, then the right shift fork would need to move to the left as well. That might allow you to spin it around enough to reconnect it.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
If you have to pull that thing out - don't put it back in... Seriously that rolling chassis is too nice to be equipped with that tranny...

d.c.parris

Loc.
cumming ga.
sorry but the trans will have to come out to fix this problem. the 2nd 3rd shift rail has to come out thru the front of the case. that shift fork had to been misaligned during assembly it could not have come out after assembly.

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
If you have to pull that thing out - don't put it back in... Seriously that rolling chassis is too nice to be equipped with that tranny...

Trying to do a fairly accurate restoration. Thanks tho!

d.c.parris

Loc.
cumming ga.
baja you could try to loosen the set screw on the shift fork and using some pliars turn the shift rail 1/4 turn and try to move the rail towards the back of the trans enough to clear the fork then rotate the fork up enough to clear the shift lever then move the lever into its correct position
i dont know if this will work but it is worth a try.
ps. the set screw in the first and reverse fork dont look right it should be recesed into the fork when it is tight it may not be in the correct position or the shift rail may be turned 1/2 turn off. good luck

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
I went ahead and pulled it all out. :( I took it back to the guy who rebuilt it to make it right. Originally, they were going to do nothing because of the time that had elapsed, but I was able to convince them that I had not run it.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
They are lucky you didn't run it. If it was their fault they would have a bigger problem to take care of.

Jim W.

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
I'm very happy that I hadn't set the body on yet! I have a feeling that if I had oil in it they would not have covered the labor to fix it. Evidently, it's been a few years. Being bone dry helped in this case.