• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quality of sheetmetal repair panels...

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
I was wondering if anyone has noticed a quality difference between any of the vendors replacement panels. I was looking and Duff appears to be the cheapest for some panels, but I was wondering of quality. They say that their kick panels and inner fenders are 20 guage. Is that what all of the others are?
I need:
Inner fenders
Kick Panel (only drivers side, I think)
Floor panels (ribbed that extend to vertical part of firewall)
Front drivers side door post (actually only the very front has a rust hole that I was thinking of patching)
I was looking at the Bronco Hut (since they are not too far from me) and noticed that they have a cover for the front door post. Anyone tried this???
Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated...

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
IIRC, the new panels I got were about 20ga, whereas the small patches I made myself were 18ga and more closely matched the original material on the tub.

OP
OP
N

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
Thanks Malcolm. In your opinion, was the 20 guage to thin? I don't want this thing to be a flexy flyer. But I encountered much more rust (now that I get into it) then I expected, so I need to keep my budget within the Boss' (wife)limits %) .

By the way, what do IIRC and AFAIK mean? I see these phrases often, but just haven't figured them out...

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
The 20ga was piles better that the rusty holed up pieces adding nothing to structural support! LOL My floor pans and kickpanels were also galvanized, a nice touch.

The panels have worked fine, and it "yielded" a bit better for final fitment, (not on the chassis yet, everything fit up on the rotisserie, tried the doors too), as everything will require a bit of tweaking... I'm sure they faced the same fitment issues at the factory.

As for the door post vs. cover, you should open it up and have a look, then decide if you need posts or just the cover. Mine were OK inside so I made my own patches for the front.

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly...
AFAIK = As Far As I Know...

Last edited:

ZookBronc

Loc.
South Orange County
I bought my panels (both floors, inner fenders and kick panels/galvenized and ribbed) from JBG www.broncograveyard.com and they fit pretty darn good. Im thankful to say that i havnt needed to replace anything in the past though so I can t compare to others but I was very satisfied with JBG.

OP
OP
N

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
I was originally going to go with JBG, as I believe that they use a lot of Dennis Carpenter stuff. I have had good service form them in the past. I started shopping around, and noticed the Bronco Hut and saw that all of their stuff was stamped in the US. This made me think that there are probably only a few places at most that stamp this kind of stuff, and most vendors would get their sheetmetal from the same place. So my thought was/is that BH and JBG have the same product and are very similarly priced, but BH is much closer and shipping would be cheaper. I am sad though, because I am spending much more money in sheetmetal than I wanted and has taken some of my play money (for my MM210) %) .