• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Passenger door movement/adjustments

Bdhand

Contributor
Today I got the new A pillar screwed in on the passenger side of my 73 I am working on. I hung the door just to test it and this is what I have. I checked my measurements of the door opening and they are what they are supposed to be. The drivers side is still factory and both sides match up. It looks like the door needs to move towards the front of the truck. new hinges as well. Is there an adjustment in the hinges to move the door towards the front of the vehincle?

thanks,
Brent IMG_1808.jpeg IMG_1807.jpeg IMG_1806.jpeg

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I have the same problem on my passenger side.. subscribing, sorry I don't have an answer for you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Torkman66

Contributor
If you have triple checked all of the door opening and pillar measurements, then you’re left with door adjustments. There are several ways to adjust door forward some of which were used by the factory.
1. You can install spacers on inside surface of door hinge. (Inside the core of the door where the hinge goes in)
2. You put a slight bend in the outside door hinge (many factory hinges had this done)
3. You can shim the door pillar hinge with “individual bolt” shims to creat a “rocking” type motion like a seasaw. If you put washers under interior bolts ( under hinge) and no washer under exterior bolt ( under hinge) it moves door forward.

In my opinion, the best way is to bend the hinge. If you don’t have a press to do that, then use internal spacers. You can tape the spacers to the hinge then slide hinge into door to bolt. The easiest is to use washers to create a seasaw on the hinge.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Is there an adjustment in the hinges to move the door towards the front of the vehicle?

NO. There is no adjustment to accommodate an improper a-pillar installation.

No shims, no bending, no special hinges, none of that. When you install the door on the A-pillar, the gap at the quarter panel must be correct.

If it is not, then the A-pillar is installed WRONG.

If you are out about 1/16-1/32 inch, then you can certainly make small refinements as described by @Torkman66 But you are out a mile.

Is your a pillar already welded together, or is it still in 2 pieces? There is a reason why the A-pillar is sold un-welded.

There is no way that your original door did not fit your original quarter panel. So now you have a choice. You can build it correctly, or you can build it the way the factory built it. Either way, you have your work cut out for you.

I have now installed about 7 of these Bronco A-pillars. I've done partials, and built from complete kits. You need to STOP, LOOK, and MEASURE.

I'm not going to tell you how to fix it. I am going to tell you that when you are done, there should be no shims, no bent hinges, and no oddball shaved doors, and no huge gaps at the windshield. (...because that's what's next in your measurement process.)

The next piece to go on is your HOOD. (...yeah, I know.) But you need the hood to set the GRILL, which locates the fender, which locates the A-pillar.

I will tell you that if the 2 halves of your A-pillar are welded together, you are already doomed. Start over.