• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Park brake upgrade?

walker_creek

Has anybody came up with a good way to upgrade parking brakes on a Bronco? I've never had any luck keeping parking brake assemblies working on drum brake Fords.
I'm still running the drums in the rear.

With my cage, I really can't access the parking brake pedal anyway.

I think some of the modern trucks use an electric activation? Anybody retrofitted this?

I've also thought about installing a line lock on the rear. I know it wouldn't fit the "legal" definition of an emergency/park brake, but it would be a heck of a lot better than what I have (which is nothing).

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
As far as the pedal and lever. drill a new hole to the right of the cage and flex over the lever piece and remount to dash.
Summit sells the electric activator. My mechanic mounted one on a chevelle with caddy rear disc and it worked good. You still need to get the calipers adjusted right for it to work properly.
as for a line lock. I have one that locks all 4 tires and I've had good luck with it.
There's also a set up that mounts behind the t-case you could look into. I think advance adapters might make it.

OP
OP
walker_creek

walker_creek

Are you talking about switching to a hand lever? I definitely don't have the room to move the foot pedal over.

As for as line lock...which one did you use? I was looking at the ones on Summitt and it looks like none of those are rated for more than a few seconds use.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Are you talking about switching to a hand lever? I definitely don't have the room to move the foot pedal over.

As for as line lock...which one did you use? I was looking at the ones on Summitt and it looks like none of those are rated for more than a few seconds use.
The pedal assembly doesn't move much. You just drill a new mount hole in the dash to the inside of the cage. The mounts to the floor and firewall stay the same. Just flex it over and remount the pull lever to the dash.
The line lock I have is no longer available. Is was a company called brakelock and is no longer in business. The owner passed away. It locks a 4 wheels with the turn of a key on the dash.

OP
OP
walker_creek

walker_creek

I didn't realize Mico was still around! I remember having lever Mico locks in our old digger/derrick truck and firetrucks.

Can I install the lock between the reservoir for the rear brakes and the proportioning valve, or does it need to be after the proportioning valve. It looks like I could do a real easy install if I could mount it on the left fenderwell right below the reservoir.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I didn't realize Mico was still around! I remember having lever Mico locks in our old digger/derrick truck and firetrucks.

Can I install the lock between the reservoir for the rear brakes and the proportioning valve, or does it need to be after the proportioning valve. It looks like I could do a real easy install if I could mount it on the left fenderwell right below the reservoir.
I don’t think it would matter. I mounted mine to the top of the frame in one of the holes that the clutch equalizer bracket bolted to.

OP
OP
walker_creek

walker_creek

Thanks. I think I'll probably try that option...even if I can get the original cables to halfass function.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I'm still building but putting in a e-stopp electronic actuator. Should be able to mount it anywhere underneath where there is room and it electronically pulls the brake cables.

Nothing inside but a button to activate it.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Correct me if I am wrong but don't most cable actuated drum brakes stay regulated by driving backwards and slowly applying the parking brake?

Obviously, you would need to do that occasionally over time, but that helps keep them functional. Shit maybe I dreamed that up?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Mico Locks still aren't a long term parking brake. No hydraulic system is, and in some States they're not legal. They are good enough to get out and look at that rock that's trying to turtle you or to help keep the truck from moving while winching someone else, but not for parking on the driveway overnight.

I used a Fiero hand lever between the seat and the console in the Bronc-up, but it is attached to Explorer RDB's.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Mico Locks still aren't a long term parking brake. No hydraulic system is, and in some States they're not legal. They are good enough to get out and look at that rock that's trying to turtle you or to help keep the truck from moving while winching someone else, but not for parking on the driveway overnight.

I used a Fiero hand lever between the seat and the console in the Bronc-up, but it is attached to Explorer RDB's.
I only use the Mico for wheeling. If I’m going to park somewhere long term, I just chock the tires with a rock or something.