• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Optima Battery (Yellow)

Bobby73

So...I took the Optima battery off the trickle charger. Installed it and drive the Bronco for 30 mins, got home and the battery was venting air and some fluid. Voltmeter read between 13-14. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bobby73

Oh...it is new and been on an Optima charger

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Sounds like it's been overcharged. Have you tested your alternator or voltage regulator?

Of course the battery could've been bad to begin with, you should contact Optima and see if they'll help out. The battery may be ruined.

Batteries vent hydrogen, btw, so be cautious with it.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I have been using red top Optima batteries in two classics for years. Is it bubbling from the little foam covered vent? If mine did that I would contact Optima tech yesterday. Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. There should be ZERO liquid exiting an Optima battery ever. If the battery is indeed new, then that's a warranty offense.
However, don't be surprised if they claim (as most battery manufacturers could if they wanted) that it was overcharged.
The fact that you're on an Optima charger (is it the 400, or the 1200?) is a bonus in your favor. But if it was messed around with by another charger at some point, it could have been the charger's fault. However unlikely.
The most likely scenario is that your charging system on the Bronco is at fault. Do you have a volt-meter installed?

And no, that 13-14 is NOT normal for a sitting battery, except when the engine is running and the alternator is charging. Then it's perfectly normal. Usually 14.5v is considered optimal on a running engine while charging the battery.
But if that reading was taken well after the engine was off, then the battery is overcharged.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
B

Bobby73

Thanks Paul...I have the 400. It charges and then goes into maintain mode. Maybe I left it on maintain too long. I think I will also change out the voltage reg. It is the original.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What was the voltage of the Bronco as you were driving it around? You are probably correct, bad regulator. Overcharging the battery. Guessing you probably had 17-18 volts while driving.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Optima charger, optima uses different electricity? :) So when my alternator throws 140 amps at it, what then? :)

Crud, one more thing i need I guess:(

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the 400. It charges and then goes into maintain mode. Maybe I left it on maintain too long.

Probably not an issue. A "maintainer" by definition is meant to be left on for long periods of time.

I think I will also change out the voltage reg. It is the original.

Don't do that until you've measured voltage at the battery with the engine running. You have to find out what it's doing before you decide. Yes, you'll likely need to replace it, but you need to KNOW for sure first.
The hope here is that it's a bad battery, and not a bad charging system.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Optima charger, optima uses different electricity? :) So when my alternator throws 140 amps at it, what then? :)
Crud, one more thing i need I guess:(

Well, if your alternator is throwing 140 amps at any battery when it's not needed, then you have a problem with your charging system that needs to be fixed right away!;D
Doesn't matter whether it's an Optima or a WalMart battery. If your alternator throws out it's maximum current when it's not needed, it's going to overcharge the battery. And if left long enough without fixing it, will most likely kill the battery.

The Optimas and all other AGM type batteries do benefit from chargers with certain capabilities, but that doesn't mean you can't use it with any regular vehicle charging system (would defeat the purpose frankly) or semi-smart charger if you need to. I've used the good old regular home chargers for years with good results.
But recent events have led me to borrow a couple of the fancy new electronic smart-charger types to try out. The Optima, C-Tek and other similar brands of chargers come with optimizable settings for AGM and regular flooded and Deep-Cycle and whatever ya got.

A specialized charger is more likely to be able to bring an AGM back from the dead. But at some point, a battery is just dead and can't be brought back.
I'm doing that bring-em-back-alive comparison right now. Have two totally dead Blue Top Optimas that I bought new and let sit without charging for ten years. Deadeadeadead... And dead in the head too, since I have maintainers I could have put them on to keep them alive, but didn't for some reason.
So now I have one on an Optima 400 and the other on a C-Tek borrowed from friends to see if there is any life left in them.
We'll see...

Paul

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I second what Paul said. Check voltage with the engine running.

A couple years ago I kept blowing headlight bulbs. Every time I checked voltage it was fine. Until I checked it with the engine running and the battery was getting something like 17 volts. Upgraded charging system and all has been good.

OP
OP
B

Bobby73

Oops already replaced the voltage regulator and new battery. While running it read 14.8. Drove it for a half hour and the battery while the car was off read 13.22.

OP
OP
B

Bobby73

One thing the PO ran a ground from the negative to the VR mounting screw and that is where the alt is also grounded.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good to have a ground there, but the factory ran a small ground wire directly from the alternator case to the screw holding the VR to the body. Made sure that not only was it grounded, but had the same ground potential as the alternator it was controlling.

Sounds like you're charging right on the money now. Hope it all works out for you.
Check the battery again after it's been sitting unused for a couple of hours. I should read between 12.4 and 12.8 or so I would think. That 13.2 is not out of line for a battery right after the engine is turned off, but it should eventually go below 13.

Paul

OP
OP
B

Bobby73

Thanks for the help Paul. Replacing the VR and Harness did the trick. A lot of corrosion in the connector and loose wires.