• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oddness on rear brake lines

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
As I get my brand spanking new brake lines from WH out of the box and climb under the 77, I realize I have absolutely no idea what I’m looking at. The 1267 page ford truck (everything 1977) is somewhat lacking. Pictured in the manual, it looks different than what’s actually there. Any help, recommendations, even ridicule welcome.

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_3060.jpeg
    IMG_3060.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3062.jpeg
    IMG_3062.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3063.jpeg
    IMG_3063.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 48

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In the first picture, the one hose with the metal fitting that is clipped to a frame bracket, then runs down to the block on the actual tube, is your rear brake hose.
The second hose that runs up next to it, probably to the other side of the frame, but down to the same block on the axle, is your axle vent tube.
Looks from here like the metal tubing that used to be screwed into the block, has been bent up and out-of-the-way, and it’s just hanging there in space.

The vent tube needs to be removed from the block on the axle, exposing the vent bolt.
The vent bolt has a hex head on it and you unscrew that to remove the brake hose block from the axle housing.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Paul, on a big screen I think I see a new hard-line that runs to the proportioning/ H-block up front. The bend does not look right to get it to the backside of brake hose attached to frame corner brace.
@DirtDonk

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
These pics are on a '77 frame I have in my garage. It just continues up the frame rail to where the proportioning valve would be, but this frame I have doesn't have one. Goes over the cross member bracket. Hopefully this helps...

Attachments

• 20240126_183224.jpg
    20240126_183224.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240126_183247.jpg
    20240126_183247.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 20

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Looks like you should be able to just rotate it about 90 degrees or so and it would go in the back of that bracket.

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Yep, that indeed is a new line that goes from L. Rear to front of the truck. It was just kind of hanging out while I was pondering WTH I was viewing. It’s back in the bed right now so I don’t step on it in the morning.

The hose circled in orange…just dead ended in the frame. Gave it a gentle tug and it fell out. Is that just the end of the vent tube or is there a connection supposed to be there?

Attachments

• IMG_3062.jpeg
    IMG_3062.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
The vent tube needs to be removed from the block on the axle, exposing the vent bolt.
The vent bolt has a hex head on it and you unscrew that to remove the brake hose block from the axle housing.
Education needed at this point, please. Why remove the brake hose block from the axle?

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
These pics are on a '77 frame I have in my garage. It just continues up the frame rail to where the proportioning valve would be, but this frame I have doesn't have one. Goes over the cross member bracket. Hopefully this helps...
Where I’ve circled in blue on your pic, what is that coming through the frame? Looks like the E-brake line. Is it just kinda stuck out of the way there?

R

Attachments

• IMG_3072.jpeg
    IMG_3072.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Paul, on a big screen I think I see a new hard-line that runs to the proportioning/ H-block up front. The bend does not look right to get it to the backside of brake hose attached to frame corner brace.
@DirtDonk
You are correct! I had it up under the truck with me to install when I realized that I was confused.

R

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Where I’ve circled in blue on your pic, what is that coming through the frame? Looks like the E-brake line. Is it just kinda stuck out of the way there?

R
It is the e-brake cable. Since it doesn't have an axle under it, I just crammed it in a random hole to get it out of the way when I was bringing it in the garage...

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
It is the e-brake cable. Since it doesn't have an axle under it, I just crammed it in a random hole to get it out of the way when I was bringing it in the garage...
Phew! I am so glad to know that. This ordeal almost makes me want to do a frame-off job.

R

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Got it! I knew there would be answers to my questions. I will get back under the bed and get after brake lines tomorrow morning.

R

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know you said “lines” in your original post, but seeing the picture of the frame-to-axle hose, made me kind of assume you were replacing it as well.
So yes, as was said, you only need to remove the vent hose when replacing the brake hose.
Actually, two reasons.
One is two replace the brake hose, but the other is to clear the vent.
They often get gummed up or filled with mud dauber wasp nests.
Your vent tube looks like it was replaced at one point anyway, since I think I see a splice there. If you’re not replacing your brake hose at the moment, I would still remove the vent hose and check that the axle vent is clear.