• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550, I gotta ask

jon_eds

Loc.
forest
So my nv3550 rattles something terrible, read every article on here I think about
the nv3550 and I come across this web site some how in a link. Never saw this info on this site and it's the weekend didn't figure I get a response by email from them before the weekend was up.
This website says u can use 30 wt nonfoaming gear oil in the nv3550, what's yalls take on this? Here's a screen shot and the website.
http://high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/stick_nv3550.htm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jon_eds

Loc.
forest
Read pretty much all the threads on the nv3550 about proper synchromesh fluid and mopar fluid being the best choice and where a couple guys (there screen names escape me) added Lucus oil stabilizer with the proper fluid with good results. That's the reason the 30 wt nonfoaming gear oil kinda caught me off guard (that's the only place I've read that)

As far as mine, pretty sure it's the typical rattle u read about that goes away when u press the clutch down, doesn't do it while in gear. I used amsoil synchromesh (2.5 quarts) probably pony up the money and try the mopar stuff and see what that does.

Just kinda sucks got all this money tied up in restoring a bronco and people checking it out and it's rattling it's ass off while idling in neutral.

ChrisC74

I have tried the Mopar, and now the Royal purple synchromesh, trying to get rid of the grinding between first and second with no luck. I have not heard rattling noise with either one but have a slight noise with the clutch out that I think is from the throw out bearing. The Lucas additive is next on my list to try.

How is your shifting between gears? Any problems?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Rattling or "growling". There are many discussions about the NV 3550 "growling" in neutral. (Do a google on it.) All sorts of Heep discussions. Most people reduce it with synthetic gear oil. It's normal.