• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some help from someone who has installed a Vintage Air AC unit

jatepper

Hey guys. I'm installing my Vintage Air GEN IV Sure Fit air conditioner in to my 76 Bronco Explorer. Phewwwwww....what a tasking this is. The instructions are not the greatest, and I have about 20 +/- hours in to this thing already.

Anywho, I'm getting ready to install the under dash unit. All my lines are ran and I'm at the point where the instructions tell me to enlarge the 1/2" hole and make it 5/8". Well, my question is which hole is it? I believe it is for my flow control valve switch/wiring.

I'm confused because the diagram does not look exactly like the firewall and the factory holes. My original heater box was held on by 4 screws, hence the 4 holes. The actual hole locations are not as pictured on the instructions (compare photos below). So, just trying to figure out which hole I actually enlarge.

Appreciate any help you guys can offer. I will update this build and continue to post progress pictures.

Thanks,

Jeremy

PIC 1 (Factory heater box holes)

PIC 2 (Hoses ran! Getting close!!)

PIC 3 (Diagram with said hole enlargement - what hole???)

PIC 4 (Just a pic of the old girl for good measure) :)

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I put a gen 4 in mine. Pretty easy job. However you have to build the mounts. Not too hard. I will see if I can find my install thread. Hanging meat.

OP
OP
J

jatepper

Thanks bax. It looks like you have an older unit. I think some of the installation is a bit different though.

I completely forgot I started a thread several months back asking which AC kit to get. Many recommended the BC broncos kit, and I think I regret not getting it (would have gotten it if I remembered I started that thread...doh). Now it looks like I will have fan issues and also issues with the upper radiator hose. Terrific. Hopefully the installation goes a bit better than I anticipate.

Jeremy

romerdoug

Sponsor/Vendor
I raised the cowl and did a custom install but I have the same unit you are installing. Because I raised the cowl I threw this part of the instructions out. However, in looking at the pics if I were you I would pop the piece I circled out and see if it's a 1/2" hole.

Attachments

• 2016-02-02 22.06.36.jpg
    2016-02-02 22.06.36.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
J

jatepper

I raised the cowl and did a custom install but I have the same unit you are installing. Because I raised the cowl I threw this part of the instructions out. However, in looking at the pics if I were you I would pop the piece I circled out and see if it's a 1/2" hole.

I looked at that too when I was under the dash. I thought about popping it out, but then I looked on the engine side of the firewall and there is not much room the route a wire through there. I'm really stumped on this one. I will check it out again come tomorrow afternoon when there is some more light and my frustration wears out ;D

Thanks for the feedback.

FordFarmer

Contributor
Jeremy,

I installed that kit a year or two ago and remember having many of the same issues. I have since moved to Hong Kong and the Bronco is in storage so I can't run out to the garage to look....but I remember finding that part of the instructions a bit ambiguous too. If I recall correctly the purpose of enlarging the hole was to fit a grommet for the heater valve power/control cable. To figure out which one to enlarge I dry fit the evaporator/heater assembly and routed the aforementioned cable through the hole that seemed to make the most sense (no kinks, shortest routing), I then enlarged that hole. Post up any other issues you have and I'll do my best to recall what I did.

In the end I was really pleased with the performance of the system, and IMHO it's a cleaner looking install than the BCB kit.....but it was a bitch to get in.