• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Early bronco soft top help

broncojohn

Hi all my old softop has seen its last days. With spring on the way I need a new soft top but looking for a couple of things. I’m looking for a white one and clear windows. I haven’t found one that has nontinted windows. I can’t figure out what’s with the tint windows .
So what do you recommend for tops and whats available
thank you

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Wont find any with no tint anymore. Best Top and Rampage are you only off the shelf options and they are both tinted windows. Rampage has a white option Best Top I dont think is available in white.

Unfortunately that's about it anymore.

OP
OP
broncojohn

broncojohn

Ep67bro thank you for the reply and was afraid of that fact. I don’t understand the tint windows but I’m sure the reason is scratching and storage. My kayline top is 20 plus years old and windows are fine but shrink is the issues.
I also remember they used to sell just the top no hardware back in the day.
I’m wondering if anybody has made their own top and use the original as a pattern?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If your top had not shrunk beyond repair you may be able to stretch it back. I used a heating blanket drapped over a shrunk canvas top two ratchet straps attached to a very heavy work bench. Heated the top up for a few hours then put some tension in the strap and left it alone. Came back repeated heat/onc clik of strap/let cool. I was afraid it would tear but it did not now it fits! This was a sports car top not a Bronco but I think the technic applies - heat as much surface area as you can as deeply as you can and leave some tension on it.

OP
OP
broncojohn

broncojohn

PfcMark I unfortunately forced the top and tore on both sides above the B puller. When I first tore the passenger side I figured I can sew a bandaid till I got a new top. Well now it’s both side and looks like poo. Plus it drips cold water down my neck when it rains:oops:.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I understand about the top shrinking. I had a STC top on my 67 and it just got so tight it was hard to zipper the back windows. It also had clear windows. My 67 now has the Rampage but with tinted windows to me it looks good but makes it pretty dark for rear seat passengers. Its a shame they dont have an option for clear anymore. With all the interest in broncos and high end bronco builds you would think there would be more choices!

OP
OP
broncojohn

broncojohn

E
I understand about the top shrinking. I had a STC top on my 67 and it just got so tight it was hard to zipper the back windows. It also had clear windows. My 67 now has the Rampage but with tinted windows to me it looks good but makes it pretty dark for rear seat passengers. Its a shame they dont have an option for clear anymore. With all the interest in broncos and high end bronco builds you would think there would be more choices!
p67bro I couldn’t agree more and it’s has a different look then a factory looking top. I sourced out materials to make a top and clear windows are cheaper and easier to source then the tinted ones. They even have flex glass style that’s like phone glass wicked durable and clear . I was excited when STC was started making top back then when kayline went out of business. We now have little options in a very Hot market .

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I found a used top on the for sale for them right here that matched my old hardware, and it has clear windows! I've seen a couple for sale recently, also on Facebook marketplace.

-JB