• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a little input before starting a build

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
Hey y'all. I've finally decided to start my '66 project that's been sitting for a while. First thing I plan to tackle is the bottom end (wheels, tires, suspension, etc.), And I'm looking for some insight before I start throwing money away on parts that don't match :p.

Right now, my bronco is uncut and has stock suspension. I've already got 2" body mounts coming for my engine/trans swap, and want to add a full 2.5" suspension lift. I also want to keep my quarters uncut. I've heard that 10.50 is about the widest you want to go with the stock quarters; but with effectively 4.5" worth of lift, would stability start to become a problem with that kind of tire width? I'm willing to cut the quarters if needed and add wider tires, but would prefer not to.

While I'm asking about wheels, what size could I run with this kind of lift setup? 31's? 33's? 35's?

Thanks!

jmhend

Bronco Guru
You can absolutely get 33's on an uncut with a 2.5" suspension and a 2" body. I think A LOT of this depends on your wheels and the back spacing.

I am torn on a 2.5"sl with a 1" bl and 33x10.5's. I have seen it fit with the proper back spacing.

I personally do not like a 2" BL But thats just me (I can't stand the gap). I know Duff has a front and rear piece to help but I think its more tailored to the 1" BL.

Good luck with your decision

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
You can absolutely get 33's on an uncut with a 2.5" suspension and a 2" body. I think A LOT of this depends on your wheels and the back spacing.

I am torn on a 2.5"sl with a 1" bl and 33x10.5's. I have seen it fit with the proper back spacing.

I personally do not like a 2" BL But thats just me (I can't stand the gap). I know Duff has a front and rear piece to help but I think its more tailored to the 1" BL.

I'll test for my 2" spacers first and see if I like the look; Worst case I'll just shave an inch off. Do you think a 32 would be better if I end up running a 1" body lift?

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I'll test for my 2" spacers first and see if I like the look; Worst case I'll just shave an inch off. Do you think a 32 would be better if I end up running a 1" body lift?
There is a few LUBR threads that talk about this a lot. I am on my cell currently and not able to dig up the searches. There are several members running 33's with a 1"BL and 2.5"SL.

AGAIN the key is Backspacing (In my opinion). Do you have wheels already? If so, what are they? Post a picture if you can (in my signature I have a link to becoming a contributor).

I am planning on 33's with a 2.5" SL and a 1" Wildhorses BL.

Cutting the spacers is an option but I would not suggest it. The cuts have to be perfect of your door alignment will be off and require a lot of time getting them right and more than likely shims.

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
There is a few LUBR threads that talk about this a lot. I am on my cell currently and not able to dig up the searches. There are several members running 33's with a 1"BL and 2.5"SL.

AGAIN the key is Backspacing (In my opinion). Do you have wheels already? If so, what are they? Post a picture if you can (in my signature I have a link to becoming a contributor).

Nope, haven't picked my wheels yet. Right now it's got the old stock wheels on it, but I'll probably change those if I find something else.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Not sure how long you plan on taking for your build, if you are like many of us you might want to double that time frame... Because of this I would hold of in items that time out of or dry out at the beginning, tires being one of them. Might not be a concern for you, just something to consider.

I like the 2.5" bl and 1" suspension idea.

helo-mech

X2 on holding off on buying the tires. Cheap rollers for the build so you don't have to worry about rot. Plus there may be a different tire you like down the road.

Here's a thread of LUBR's with 33s.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244954&highlight=LUBR

I'm sure there is a LUBR out there with 35s but it hasn't been anything I've ever looked for. However I would guess you are talking about serious cutting of the wheel-well, tub and floor pan to keep 35s from rubbing during the articulation effect of a speed bump.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
31 or 32 clear so much easier on a Lubr. Also they still look large and aggressive.

helo-mech

Looks like Jmangi62 has a 35” LUBR; https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3301316&postcount=20

3.5” of backspace, 5.5” of suspension lift with 1” body lift

Garage: https://classicbroncos.com/forums/dto_garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=3817

Found it in this thread: https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302708&highlight=LUBR Happens to have a lot of 30 and 31s as well. Each have characteristics I like. The choices the choices. What will the primary use of the Bronco be?

Attachments

• 9D68DD6F-A5A8-450A-B6CF-AE12DD2CC1E4.jpeg
    9D68DD6F-A5A8-450A-B6CF-AE12DD2CC1E4.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 56DC7B4D-23AD-44B8-984E-DBA16A3C37E2.jpeg
    56DC7B4D-23AD-44B8-984E-DBA16A3C37E2.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 23

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think you're going to like the 1” BL better especially with the LUBR. I have 1” BL and 2.5” SL on ours and it clears 33” tires fine with 3.5” BS. 32” look good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

helo-mech

You might want to think about a new Thread in the Chat Section with a more specific title; maybe - Opinion on Tire Size for LUBR Build / Street Cruises and Mild Trails -

Copy over your initial information regarding your body lift, suspension and drivetrain plans along with leaving it uncut a d see what people suggest for ride comfort. Point being with what was stated above you know 31 - 33 inch tires can tuck just fine and apparently 35s can as well. All you have to do now is decide what look and ride you want.

I can't speak to ride; I think the 32-33 looks best, but just an opinion. The chat side with a specific title might get more people to weigh in ride/look.

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
You might want to think about a new Thread in the Chat Section with a more specific title; maybe - Opinion on Tire Size for LUBR Build / Street Cruises and Mild Trails -

Copy over your initial information regarding your body lift, suspension and drivetrain plans along with leaving it uncut a d see what people suggest for ride comfort. Point being with what was stated above you know 31 - 33 inch tires can tuck just fine and apparently 35s can as well. All you have to do now is decide what look and ride you want.

I can't speak to ride; I think the 32-33 looks best, but just an opinion. The chat side with a specific title might get more people to weigh in ride/look.

Ended up doing just that... Hopefully I get some more insight there. Thanks to all y'all!

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3401843#post3401843

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
depends allot of how stiff your springs are and how much load your are planning. Are you planning to roll in you fender lips. how much rubbing is going to be acceptable and do you plan to fully stuff a tire.. at that size your splitting hairs.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
X2 on holding off on buying the tires. Cheap rollers for the build so you don't have to worry about rot. Plus there may be a different tire you like down the road.

Here's a thread of LUBR's with 33s.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244954&highlight=LUBR

I'm sure there is a LUBR out there with 35s but it hasn't been anything I've ever looked for. However I would guess you are talking about serious cutting of the wheel-well, tub and floor pan to keep 35s from rubbing during the articulation effect of a speed bump.
Yes Muskrat shows in post #36 (I think) that he has 33x10.5's under a 2.5" Suspension and 1" Body lift. Now full disclosure he does have some funky issue on the one side but the other side is fine and never rubs.

Good luck either way.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Please build this!

Attachments

• 3EDBC4AE-3E28-4CEB-81F5-F46715EACEC6_4_5005_c.jpeg
    3EDBC4AE-3E28-4CEB-81F5-F46715EACEC6_4_5005_c.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 17

levib1

Does anyone have the specs on that blue bronco? Lift, tire size, BS, etc...

Really like that look!

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Does anyone have the specs on that blue bronco? Lift, tire size, BS, etc...

Really like that look!

X2 I like it a lot. I'm a fan of most broncos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk