• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Narrowing a D44

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
OK, I have removed the C from the long side of the axle and now I need to know what the measurement is from the end of the tube to where i need to cut. Can anyone tell me what the measurement is from the edge of the pumpkin to the end of the tube. How much tube should I have left after I cut. Thanks just want to measure twice cut once.

Also what is WHS that I see referred to?

Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
A full size front end is 6" longer on the passenger side than an EB front end. Remove the 6" and you'll be at EB width.

WHS? I've heard WMS which is wheel mounting surface.

suckerpunched

I have not done this but have been considering it. I have a full width high pinion 44 and need a standard Bronco width 44 for my next project. I don't really want the HP though. If I did it, I would measure the difference between the original axle and the new one I was going to use and remove that amount from the tube.

doran4x

Contributor
As long as you are cutting the axle down, order the WAH from BC Broncos. It improves articulation with stock radius arms.
fa8e1292695fd557b5ce8cdfa38fbafc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
WAH, an interesting piece of engineering. Can someone do a write up on it? There isn't much on the BCB site.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Justin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Probably would have been better to have learned about the wristed axle housing before cutting the Cs off the tube.

When that wristed axle housing was released it was a hit for many years. I have not heard much about it in the past 5 years or so. I think too many people are afraid to run nice trucks on trails that are hard enough to use the wristed housing and a lot more people are looking to make broncos more street friendly.

doran4x

Contributor
Probably would have been better to have learned about the wristed axle housing before cutting the Cs off the tube.

When that wristed axle housing was released it was a hit for many years. I have not heard much about it in the past 5 years or so. I think too many people are afraid to run nice trucks on trails that are hard enough to use the wristed housing and a lot more people are looking to make broncos more street friendly.

I would say it is one of the best modifications I have done to my truck. Street manners are fantastic and off-road it does what it is designed to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have long-arms on my EB, and considered the WAH at the time as well, but wanted to see what the arms would give me by themselves. I figured I could always run both long-arms and a WAH if the arms alone didn't get me where I wanted to be articulation-wise, but they did, so I didn't.

That said, a WAH is a great way to free up the bind inherent to a radius arm suspension design, which is basically a high-stiffness sway bar in use. By not allowing the axle housing to transmit a moment through the housing, it becomes a zero rate sway bar in effect, and you can then use an actual anti-sway bar to tune the body roll of the vehicle where you want it.

OP
OP
redfishtony

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
OK I'm gonna ask, what does the WAH do exactly. In the pics SteveL posted the suspension looks awesome but the axle still looks straight to me. Does the WAH provide a bending point or what? The axles are still solid. Info please. Thanks, TW

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
It allows the axle tube to rotate. Like the twisted arms you had to pin before the long arms were readily available.

Nothing Special

If I'm thinking about it right, instead of both radius arms holding the axle tight, only one does, while the other lets it rotate freely. That way the axle is still held in place (to avoid screwing up the caster and wrecking the front driveshaft), but it doesn't act as an anti-sway bar when one radius arm tries to twist it one way while the other twists it the other way.

edit: Sorry, I was thinking of a wristed radius arm. See Apogee's post below

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK I'm gonna ask, what does the WAH do exactly. In the pics SteveL posted the suspension looks awesome but the axle still looks straight to me. Does the WAH provide a bending point or what? The axles are still solid. Info please. Thanks, TW

You cut the axle housing tube on the passenger side and install a rotational slip joint. This allows the tube to "twist" between the radius arms while the driver's side radius arm maintains the sweep of the pinion angle. Each radius arm is still firmly attached to the wedges on each respective tube, so they take the drive and braking torques accordingly. The WAH slip joint is bushed and can take the bending moments transmitted by the housing, however it was definitely geared towards crawling and controlled articulation, so it's not something that I would probably put in a pre-runner or anything like that.

The WAH is a much better solution than a wristed radius arm design IMO, where you then only have one radius arm to control torque of the housing.