• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Master Cylinder for WH Disk Conversion

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Hey all, I'm looking for the Napa/Autozone/O'reilly cross reference part number for the Heavy Duty disk master cylinder that Wild Horses uses. Their part number is 3079. If there is another cylinder that could be used, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, in advance.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I believe that is the MC for a Corvette from the late 60's to the 70's

But from what I have discovered you have a few options out there.
Depth of the portion of the piston that accepts your brake rod is important
The mount/bolt spacing is important
The piston/bore diameter is "really" important.

You can find all of that in more than one MC.

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
broncout73, thank you. That's a helpful start as the Napa MC's are the stock style with the smaller forward reservoir.

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Thank you gr8scott!

Update on the brakes: I confirmed with WH that the stock MC will work, however, they strongly recommend the wilwood with metering valve, if possible. The pedal gets a solid feedback, though the draw is a ltitle longer than usual. It will stop, but can lock up, if needed.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FYI Joe, the #3079 is not a factory offering of any kind that I'm aware of.
It's the same outer casting as many GM/Bendix units of the day, and yes a mid to late sixties Corvette can be used, but you need to specify manual vs power brakes to get the appropriate size piston. Most cars with power assist use a larger piston, while manual brakes typically got smaller pistons. Broncos being an exception of course, where they used a 1" bore master cylinder both with manual drum, or had the power disc brake option.
The factory style masters will almost always come with odd-sized port configurations as well. Not sure about every one, but most will have two distinct sizes of fittings to keep you from putting the rear hose in the front reservoir and vice versa. This also means that it very likely will not fit with stock Bronco hoses.
Even different year/model Ford/Bendix masters don't always interchange on a Bronco because of Ford using different size ports for their attachments.
Plenty out there with the same size ports, but this variation is why using another factory unit to swap in is not always just a perfectly straightforward operation.

Our master is a brand new, pretty much universal unit that is not purchased by us for a specific application.
It has a 1.125" bore, which while usable in manual mode, is much more suited to a power booster due to it's larger bore piston making it hard to push the pedal.
It comes with a deep-well piston for use in most manual configurations, or with boosters that have long rods.
It also comes with a little bullet-spacer thingy to make it into a shallow well piston for use with boosters utilizing a short rod.

Ours also has ports on both sides of the body, allowing the same unit to be used with, or without the angle bracket.
The port size is the common tube fitting size ("3/8 inch" pipe fitting for 3/16" tube maybe?) which is different from the stock hoses. So to use it with stock hoses you need adapters. Some of which come with the kit, but I'm not sure all do. So custom hoses are usually a necessity rather than a luxury.

So basically it may look like a Corvette, or other GM-based master cylinder, but it's really it's own beast. Similar, but with no direct part number conversion that I'm aware of.

By all means use what you can, but be aware of the differences you can run across when buying for a different application and be ready to roll with the changes.

Paul

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Paul, thank you! That lays it all out perfectly, so I have some thinking to do. I will be sure to let you know what I go with when I get the MC, however, I do like the Wilwood setup with metering/adjustable proportioning valve you offer.