• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Long Travel Install, Bushing question

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
I'm about to install some All4Fun/Bronco Bob long arms. They recommend either stock rubber o 2* poly bushings. Not sure which way to go, I'm tempted to try the rubber ones out, I've had Poly for a while and both C bushings are split. I'm running a 3.5" suspension lift and 35's

Wrightracing

What kind of driving do you do? Is it a fire road slow Off-Road toy, street and show, daily driver or hard-core off road beast. The Polyurethane will do well for all, just make sure you grease them when you put them on or they will squeak. If you want to save a buck, rubber will work, but you will need to replace them more often depending on how ruff you drive. Then like mine, it is a hardcore Off-Road toy that normally gets trailered to the desert and sand dunes. I was trashing Polyurethane and they lasted maybe a year before I saw them start to show fatigue. So I went with Delrin bushings. They are much stronger and are impregnated with oil for self lubrication. They worked great, but I went with a long travel coilover suspension and now run heim joints and the radius arms are custom and welded to Dana 44 TTB front axle housings. Also the front pivot bushings were replaced with 7/8" uniball's. I still run Delrin bushings on the rear leaf springs and work great until I makeup my mind to link the rear. Probably after I wear out or break the leafs.

Again, mine is basically a Prerunner toy for the dunes, a Go Fast Bronco.

The Polyurethane are probably your best option.

That is just my opinion and opinions are like farts, some stink and some don't.

David

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
I do a mostly on road driving mixed with some moderate wheeling. I don't rock crawl, but I do like a challenging trail ride. Sounds like I should go with Poly, I'm familiar with Derlin, but my rigs not that hardcore lol

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The thing with polyurethane is that you need to use a non petroleum grease when you install them. The best for this used to be the silicone grease sourced from Baker Precision, couldn't get the page to load for me as I posted this so not sure what's up.
If the urethane bushings squeak you may as well replace them because nothing that I know of will fix that long term. If they don't squeak then you're good to go until they do squeak and then you're at the end of their service life.

Contrast that with rubber. Don't need any grease. Live a long time so long as you're within their design limits. They will never squeak. When the rubber is gone, THEN the metal parts that used to be separated by the rubber will squeak...

No, I'm not a fan of urethane. It has it's places, but I try not to use it when I can.