• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Loaded Question here... looking for upgrade advice.

bsteab0yz

Just purchased a 1974 bronco, body not taken off restoration so there is some surface rust on the frame, nothing structural.

Here is what the owner did to it before selling it, other than body work, new paint, seats, roll bars, seat belts, and other cosmetic items:

- new breaks (drum in rear, disc front)
- new FiTech fuel injection system
- new edelbrock cam shaft
- new rear fuel tank (no front tank)
- new suspension - 2.5" wild horses
- new radiator
- new alternator
- new seals in axles
- new wheel bearings
- new lights
- new ball joints and rods in steering

What would be the top items / systems you would address to make this more of a daily driver ... obviously only during the warmer months? I'm taking it to a mechanic next week so would like to have a list of these items from a quoting standpoint, if anything at all really needs to be done. Also, if there are items you think I should have him check more in depth, I would love a list of those things as well.

The items I've noticed thus far is a squeaky belt, a big puff of white smoke when starting it up and a constant very light stream of white smoke coming out when idling, likely when driving too but I can't tell. The break lines on the back wheel hubs are leaking just a little bit, break fluid is fine for now. Seems to be a leak in the power steering box. I tightened a couple of the hose clamps that were loose, as that seems where it was coming from - will keep an eye on it. Transmission is a little clunky when cold (I press on the gas at a stop sign and it takes 2 seconds to kick in and start moving). Not an issue when it warms up - maybe this is normal? I don't know.

Thanks in advance!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
White smoke probably oil, no issue, might be coolant leak, problem if so, keep tabs on Rad level.

My advice, don't do anything for years, just drive it at least twice a month for more than 30 minutes to get it all warmed up.

DONT install an AC unit. Where are you?

Clunky tranny can be result of sticky components, might try a can of transmission fix. If it works though, dont do anything.

Why? You will throw tens of thousands of dollars fixing just the things you mentioned, so try to get some miles on it and see what is really a problem, or just an annoyance.

Daily driver? Well, thats a cool idea, but reality, these things are to costly to use daily. Think if it's stolen or wrecked, AAA is not going to repair the body they way it should be repaired.

OP
OP
B

bsteab0yz

Yes - going to look at what is causing the white smoke next week.

I live in KY - pretty hot summers but was going to avoid installing AC for now... what is your reasoning in not installing it?

Got some transmission fix and will add today.

From a daily driver standpoint - are you meaning just the wear and tear / gas consumption, etc etc costs? Or just the hypothetical of it you get in a wreck or stolen?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
AC? Your kneecap will be cool. Only one of them. And introduce about 10 problems to the rig. Easier to open a window, remove a top, or wait till it cools like evening time.

KY pretty hot.... OK, I raise you one KY and introduce PHX AZ when it's 120. Yeah, I drove mine for 300 miles around PHX when it was 110 to break it in. Not fun, but not unbearable.

Heat in a bronco can be solved by insulation undercarpet.

Just trying to save you the disappointment of AC. Now, humidity? That can help.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Daily driver safety- you said you had a shop to check things out, right?

- even tho some of the brakes have been upgraded make sure they 100% very important

- shocks and suspension issues. Excellent condition 100% importance. Bushings should be new so strg issues aren't an issue. Alignment for tracking, etc.

- You said you have EFI so make 100% sure it has an inertia switch in case of an accident. Can't love an electrical fuel pump that doesn't shut off when in an accident and just feeds or starts the fire. Important.

-3 point seat belts. Must have and must be as a minumum plated under solid floor or attached to the cage.

-High back bucket seats. Don't think for a minute that the stock seats are cool or add a nice retro look. Get high back seats in. I have several friends who have had neck/back issues for 30+ years because of rear end collosions. High back seats will really make a difference.

- Roll cage- Do it! You get sideswiped or have to do a high speed maneuver and you lose it a roll bar/cage WILL safe your life.

With those things you help eliminate potential disaster

Last edited:

hossbronco

Contributor
I agree with nvrstuk. Safety first. I would install everything he’s said. Good seat belts and a cage will give the best chance to walk away from an accident, while good brakes and steering will help you avoid one.

Maybe the first thing I’d do is get a fire extinguisher, especially if the wiring hasn’t been replaced. New bearings in the axles are also important for your safety, but it sounds like you’ve got that taken care of.

I’m not a fan of any leaks, but I’d make sure your brake system is air tight. If fluid can find its way out, water and air can potentially find its way in.

With the lift I’m assuming your tires are larger than stock. Depending on how much larger, a regear might make your vehicle more enjoyable to drive.

I’d never hesitate to put in AC, but it’s nowhere near the top of my list either. When installed correctly it should work great. That being said, my first vehicle was a Bronco II with no AC, and I put thousands of miles on it growing up in San Antonio with no problems. And thousands of Broncos have been on the roads for decades in the South with no AC. But when it’s freezing outside you’ll want a functioning heater to at least keep the frost off your windshield. Even in warmer months you may run into a cool morning where it’s be nice to get the fog off your windshield.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
hossbronco thanks- FIRE extinguisher. I carry 3. Two clamped on the cage in the back and one other. Since they last about 10 seconds and if someone's helping that doesn't know how to use one (like shooting at the flames and not the base) I've seen the fire "almost" out using the first one and then.... :(

bmbm

Daily driver? Consider an AOD(E) if you don't have really tall tires and take into consideration your axle ratios. OD makes for a much more civilized experience on the freeway. And if no power steering then add 4 turn PS it is nicer to drive that way. If you have PS and it is 6 turn then consider going 4 turn. My 66 has been my daily driver, on and off, since I bought it in 1987 and will be again soon.

pfdff1115

Contributor
Bronco Builder
Loc.
Jamestown, IN
If daily driving, I would start with adding an Explorer Serpentine belt system, no more squeaky belts no more over heating or vapor locking.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
All good advice. Get it checked out and have all the fluids serviced (including differentials and transfer case). Then just drive it for a while... There WILL be bugs that need worked out with that list of recent additions. As mentioned, seatbelts and roll cage are important. The roof has ZERO structural support. In a rollover situation it will flatten. Your experience will dictate your priorities.... Everyone is different... Some like to make them offroad monsters, some want to keep them bone stock and some want to make them modified street machines... Between those extremes there are tons of options. Have fun and welcome aboard!