• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How many times has scam been tried on Ebay

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJCME9uF!,Lq6BPm!-0cU1g~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqFHJCME9uF!,Lq6BPm!-0cU1g~~60_12.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 69

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn't see anything in his listing that would make me think it was scam, aside from the fact that it is listed on Ebay and he has zero feedback. That's not to say it is or isn't, but given his price and the relatively few pictures for a rig in that price range, not to mention the somewhat poorly written and misleading description, I can certainly understand why it hasn't sold.

Does anyone know what a front Currie nodular is? I don't...it looks like a D44. 31-spline front axles...really? There are a lot of nice parts there, but finding a buyer at his price could be tough.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
If I remember correctly, about a year or so I found it on one site and contacted them. I think they said they were N. Dakota, had to move there for job etc... Figured them it was a scam. Could be wrong, but if 90K has been spent on like it says on Jeff's Bronco graveyard, then 25k is a still.

On another note, what are the humps in front of the wheels wells?

Attachments

• image_24045f.jpg
    image_24045f.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 60

gtnorga

I've played with the I had to move for a job scam guys before. The way it goes down is they tell you ebay is holding the truck in San Jose and they have a friend or some sort of excellent shipping deal and you have time to check out the truck. They can't meet you because they're out of town on business. They also tout the ebay buyer protection etc, etc to make you feel comfortable. You send the money and get no truck. It's not only used with Broncos but for any car. It happens on Craigslist often enough. I was looking for a used pickup and saw it on a 2006 Tacoma. Using search tempest I found the same trick Bronco in multiple cities across the country. A day or two later the posting would disappear only to cycle again a few weeks later. Play with those guys long enough and you'll see break downs in their spelling and grammar. Another variation of the scam is the I'm a soldier getting deployed trick. My car/truck/van is being held by the government and I need to sell it.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I've played with the I had to move for a job scam guys before. The way it goes down is they tell you ebay is holding the truck in San Jose and they have a friend or some sort of excellent shipping deal and you have time to check out the truck. They can't meet you because they're out of town on business. They also tout the ebay buyer protection etc, etc to make you feel comfortable. You send the money and get no truck. It's not only used with Broncos but for any car. It happens on Craigslist often enough. I was looking for a used pickup and saw it on a 2006 Tacoma. Using search tempest I found the same trick Bronco in multiple cities across the country. A day or two later the posting would disappear only to cycle again a few weeks later. Play with those guys long enough and you'll see break downs in their spelling and grammar. Another variation of the scam is the I'm a soldier getting deployed trick. My car/truck/van is being held by the government and I need to sell it.

Yep one of the first Bronco's I was interested was one of these scams. I was advertised local in Orlando, when I contact the person they say it is in MO because of a move for a job. I say great, I can be out net week, then it was well it's already with the shipper and packaged for freight, but that I had a 30 day money back guarantee. They used the old I am an Ebay certified seller, so I was like OK, set up a private auction on Ebay and send me the link, I will pay any additional fees. Of course they could not do that for various reasons. I jerked them around for a little while longer and they knew I was on to the scam, I called them out on it and the next day, the email and phone number in the ad where dead. That's how they operate. A good rule of thumb on the net, when it comes to desirable vehicles, that are in limited supply, is to assume every ad is a scam. It forces you to ask yourself if you are exposing yourself to getting ripped off at every step of the transaction.

jetdoc

Loc.
Horn Lake
Yep one of the first Bronco's I was interested was one of these scams. I was advertised local in Orlando, when I contact the person they say it is in MO because of a move for a job. I say great, I can be out net week, then it was well it's already with the shipper and packaged for freight, but that I had a 30 day money back guarantee. They used the old I am an Ebay certified seller, so I was like OK, set up a private auction on Ebay and send me the link, I will pay any additional fees. Of course they could not do that for various reasons. I jerked them around for a little while longer and they knew I was on to the scam, I called them out on it and the next day, the email and phone number in the ad where dead. That's how they operate. A good rule of thumb on the net, when it comes to desirable vehicles, that are in limited supply, is to assume every ad is a scam. It forces you to ask yourself if you are exposing yourself to getting ripped off at every step of the transaction.

Great info..Thanks for sharing.