• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do I replace rusted body mount point?

kat

Loc.
Bristol
The picture is the best I can do, it is under the battery. The body seems to be rusted where it connects to the frame. It seems to be thin sheet metal. I have tried to google but can't find any solutions. Is there a replacement I can buy or do I have to build this body part?? The white stuff is grease I sprayed on it to keep it from squeaking. Any help would be great.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
That mount is pretty easy to fab up with a few common tools. A vice and a hammer will make that piece. Use a piece of cardboard [ I use cereal box] and make a pattern and transfer it to a piece of steal and cut, bend and shape it. Not a bad project. Ken

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Thank you. I havent' taken my battery out yet but I assume these have to be welded on??

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You should take the battery out and see what it looks like under there. If you only need the one piece you can save money and get it here:

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Core-support-mounting-bracket/productinfo/14004/

You'll need to cut the spot welds out and weld in the new piece. It attaches to the wheel tub in the back, and the core support in the front.

It looks like yours failed a long time ago and someone rigged up a metal tube as a replacement. It's supposed to be flat and sit right on the rubber donut.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
You should take the battery out and see what it looks like under there. If you only need the one piece you can save money and get it here:

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Core-support-mounting-bracket/productinfo/14004/

You'll need to cut the spot welds out and weld in the new piece. It attaches to the wheel tub in the back, and the core support in the front.

It looks like yours failed a long time ago and someone rigged up a metal tube as a replacement. It's supposed to be flat and sit right on the rubber donut.
Thanks...I went ahead and bought a set. The one on the drivers side don't look that great (but still couldn't see of how it was attached). So they are just spot welded??

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup. You should be able to see the old welds on the inside of the wheel tub and the outside of the core support. Use a HF spot weld driller (or big drill bit) to drill them out, pull out the old mount, vice grip in the new one, and weld right through the holes you drilled out.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Yup. You should be able to see the old welds on the inside of the wheel tub and the outside of the core support. Use a HF spot weld driller (or big drill bit) to drill them out, pull out the old mount, vice grip in the new one, and weld right through the holes you drilled out.

Thanks going to take the battery out this weekend and take a closer look at it....and I guess make sure I weld it in the same place the old one came off of right...