• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hood latch mechanism support

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I've installed WH hood pins and I'm very pleased with the way that they support the hood and hold it down.
I've already removed the mechanism, but I'm wondering about removing the bulky bracket that goes from the radiator core support to the grill? I know it provides some structure and I would probably replace that with some more elegant brackets. I think if I removed that ugly thing I could both improve air flow and also clean up the front end wiring significantly.
IIt looks as if it's bolted to the radiator core support but welded to the grill. Does anybody have any advice in removing it?

THX,
JB

Wrightracing

It is a structural support. I am doing the same on my 72, but my core support is fabricated from 1.25x.120 DOM tube. I have not done it yet, but plan to tie in the support to the grill with fabricated tabs from the core support to the grill. I would say , cut off the bottom of the mechanism and clean it up and bolt the top back in place for structural strength. That is what I would do, if I had a oem core support.

This is not my Bronco, but I will be doing the same setup.
992920953a93c49fd21851a4a4bc6816.jpg
0346605c3d289d1671461fbe644c6e6e.jpg

David

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or, you could improve the airflow even more by putting a tool tray over it. I guess we actually call it an air dam, but only have the tool tray version any more.
It covers the entire area from fender to fender and improves the airflow through the core.
However, removing the vertical piece wouldn’t hurt either. But if it’s going to be covered up anyway, I would do what was just suggested it and just cut the lower portion out and leave the upper support.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I unbolted the vertical part and got it out of there. And I already have the tool tray, but I was looking for a clean path for the 1/0 gauge cable that connect my left hand and right hand battery.
Possibly some slight modifications to the factory bracket might give me a better path.

Thanks for the replies!
JB

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What exactly are you using the 10 gauge cable for?
Reason I ask, is that 10 gauge is basically just heavy duty wire not even qualified as a cable almost.
So, if you are using it for charging duties from a high output alternator, or jumpstarting duties from one of those big isolating relays, you should probably use a more battery size cable.
Minimum of six gauge (really 4ga is my usual minimum recommendation anymore) and possibly even two.
But then, it really all depends on what it is actually being used for.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Not 10, 1/0 (or zero guage) to connect the two batteries. I have an optima mounted in the stock location with a wh optima battery tray and an optimua mounted on the driver side also in wh optima battery tray.
I have a painless relay and dual battery kit, and wanted to improve the routing from the starting battery to the driver side battery.

THX,
JB