• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

High amp alternator

bronco stuff

In the battery chargeing sys. on a 68 Bronco why is there a wire that goes to the ing. switch? Is it because it comes thur the amp gage?
I have to get a new alternator and was looking into getting a high amp 1 wire alt. which would clean up some wires under the hood ,but they say 1 wire to the battery thats it.
Thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't care for the 1-wire alternators, seen too many problems with them. You can put a standard 3G in and you would only need one extra wire. That extra wire is already under the hood.

Most of the extra wires on a 1G are because of the external regulator. Ignition sw turns the regulator on with the green-red wire. That's the wire you would use to turn a 3G on.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I will wait for the experts to chime in, but I believe it serves to feed the amp Gage, and also all the systems needed to start the EB.:cool:

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
x2 on 3g

I don't care for the 1-wire alternators, seen too many problems with them. You can put a standard 3G in and you would only need one extra wire. That extra wire is already under the hood.

Most of the extra wires on a 1G are because of the external regulator. Ignition sw turns the regulator on with the green-red wire. That's the wire you would use to turn a 3G on.

Thanks Viper ;D;D
same here, I went with the 3g and my brother also after running a 1 wire for a few months, he sort of had to since we went with the explorer serpentine set up on both my 75 and his 73.:cool:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
most of the modern alternators are internally regulated, that alone cleans up from the stock external regulated setup.
A typical internal alternator has 3 wires;
Power, the big one to charge the battery.
Turn on, connected with the key to "wake up the alternator".
sense wire, reads battery voltage to correct for voltage drop in the wiring.

The quick cheat when doing the alternator upgrade is to splice the sense wire into the power wire. It generally works pretty good, but the voltage does tend to drop a little under heavy load. But it cleans up the wiring to a two wire install.

The one wire makes for an internal turn on wire. When the alternator spins fast enough it makes a little eletricity from permanetly magnatizing the rotor a little bit. This makes enough voltage to wake up the alternator and feed power through 1-wire that is also looped back into the sense wire.

I have one on my boat. I do have issues with charge at idle, I have to blip the throttle a little to wake it up. then keep it at a fast idle to keep charging. drop to a low idle and the alt drops out and needs another blip to wake it up again. I would much prefer an extra wire for a turn on signal, I know it will charge at idle if it would just stay awake. The sense wire I am a little tossed on. While it can better maintain the correct voltage level with it hooked to the battery, by the time the engine has been running enough to charge the battery the amp output will be greatly reduced, so will the voltage drop. and if the sense wire gets a bad connection it will read low voltage and drive the alternator to a higher power level with increased voltage to try and bring the sense wire up to prescribed levels. A looped sense wire back to the charge wire will be the easiest way to cripple the alternator into not overcharging. I prefer a little undercharge to overcharge.

The stock wiring can just handle the stock 60 amp alternator. Any more and you need a direct feed to the battery and forget about using the stock amp meter.