• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with deciding gears

Gear ratio upgrade

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

69Bronco289Built

Hi, looking for some input on what gears to upgrade my 1969 bronco to. I am currently doing a full off the frame restoration to my 1969 bronco. It was bought new by my mother in 1969 new and I'm making it a show piece. I added a 2 1/2 inch suspension lift, power steering upgrade, disc brake conversion all around and I have built the origional 289 to the 9s... I upgraded the axles to 31 spline and I'm running 31 10.50 tires . I plan on using the bronco for show. It's days of off loading are done... That being said, I want the bronco to have torque to tires and I'm not worried about top mph. I am keeping the 3 on the tree trans and if I can do 55-60 with moderate rims, I'm good with that. I'm not using it for trips, and my time on the highway will be limited. I'm leaning toward 3.90, but I did consider 4.11... any thoughts??? Thanks

doran4x

Contributor
4.10’s would be my choice. Do you have any photos of the truck build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I plan on using the bronco for show. It's days of off loading are done... That being said, I want the bronco to have torque to tires and I'm not worried about top mph.
for show gearing really doesn't matter so for torque to tires and no cares about top mph, I'd go with 4.88's. Only at ~3400rpm's at 65mph which is fine with a 289. Maybe a bit loud depending on exhaust, but you probably don't care about that not using it for longer trips :geek:. Lots of fun around town with the three on the tree (well as much fun as that can be. I happen to love mine!).

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would vote for 4.10s
They were a factory option. When you decide to go with 33s since it will look a little funny with a lift and little tires, it will be a really good match as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just how is the engine being modified? You say it’s being built to the nines, but what does that mean in your case? That can affect gearing choice as well as intended use.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And what is the poll question meaning? You’re asking for gearing recommendations, but the only two choices in the poll are 10 or 100. Not sure I understand that.
Is this Matt by the way?

67sport

Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Mine was originally a 289/manual 3 speed/4.10 truck, and on 33's it was fun but I missed the power it had on smaller tires. 38's and 5.13s now.
With the info provided I think I'd go 4.56, but not knowing how that motor is being built makes my choice kind of pointless. Is it being built for bottom end or to rev? 289's aren't torque monsters but they will wind out.
Cool history on the truck.

OP
OP

69Bronco289Built

for show gearing really doesn't matter so for torque to tires and no cares about top mph, I'd go with 4.88's. Only at ~3400rpm's at 65mph which is fine with a 289. Maybe a bit loud depending on exhaust, but you probably don't care about that not using it for longer trips :geek:. Lots of fun around town with the three on the tree (well as much fun as that can be. I happen to love mine!).
Great input...! It will be loud and throaty