• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP! My Bronco needs to be my daily driver

Soo Billy

Loc.
Walker
I have a 71 with a 302 Carb and HEI, NP435, 3.5 inch lift w/33x15s, centech. It has to be my daily driver for a while or I will have to sell and by a YUGO. Just kidding on the YUGO. It is around 17 miles to work and a lot of stop and go traffic on the interstate. I have discs in the front and drums in the rear.

What should I do to make sure it will get me there and back EVERYDAY.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
You should be fine with it as a daily driver. Just take care of the basics, like oil, water/anti-freeze, check belts and hoses, brake fluid etc.

My EB was my daily driver for a couple weeks when my F series was in the body shop from running into a deer. Deer can make a mess of things. My EB is my trail rig/weekend toy but when she got the call to play first string she did just fine.

Ed

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well my Running Buddy has a 1966 it has been his daily driver for about the
last 6 years... I'd say make sure it has a new battery on it and good fuel filters
....If yours starts everytime you go to it and all the fluids are full and give the lights the once over ....I say get after it ....
My Bronco "snakebite" it's one of those that will just decide on it own to not start this trip ..So I need a tall hill to roll her down ....and mine doesn't pass a gas station ...So I have to have a 100 gallons of gas with me to go to town...

1975SPORT

Loc.
Hood River, Oregon
Definately fine the way it is, mine has all drums and the same lift and setup except i have 33 12.5's. Does just fine, not great gas mileage but you'll get more looks than a honda.

If you really wanna spend a small amount of money though (nobody brow beat me here) buy a used toyota echo. My parents have one its an 03 with 220,000 miles on it. Its on its original clutch, and brake pads (crazy huh) and all its had done is the routine oil change. Basically for the price you can run it till it pukes, and at 17 miles a pop it'll last awhile. On the bad note though if your not married you definately dont wanna be seen in it on date night :)

Tenacious-B

Loc.
Laguna Hills, CA
Make sure all the fluids are maintained and the filters replaced. I'm sure she'll treat you just fine as your dd. Mine was my dd for many years, and all I ever had go out on me was my starter (that was around the corner from my house too, so I can't complain.)

Doyle

Bronco Guru
I have a 73, 302, 3 speed in floor, twin sticked D20, on 35s. I put a little over 9,000 miles on in the last 12 months. Routine maintane, filters, fluids, light inspection, and check your brake pads, shoes. You should be fine. Good luck.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If it runs and drives whats the problem? just drive it when it breaks fix it.
My 73 was a daily driver for 30 years probably would still be but I wanted A/C but didnt want to install it on my bronco so I bought a Ford Ranger in 03 so the bronco gets a much needed rest.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
A good tuneup may be in order, if you haven't done it recently. Fresh plugs, check the dizzy cap and rotor, check vacuum, timing, plug wires, and fresh fluids and filters. Check your tire pressures, jack it up and give the wheels a wiggle and make sure that no bearings are on their way out.

Basically, start a good preventative maintenance regimen. I would spend many a Saturday checking things over, and doing it all a little at a time, so I could be to work when I was supposed to during the week.

Pay attention to what she's telling you. Turn the radio down, listen to noises, smell stuff, hold the wheel lightly and feel any vibrations, stuff that will tell you when there's going to be a problem before there is one.

Other than that, take care of her, she'll take care of you.

Mine was a daily driver for several years, getting me back and forth nearly 100 miles round trip through Dallas traffic.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Gummi Bear pretty well summarized it. Some of us don't even own another vehicle. The Chariot has been my daily driver for 30 years by doing just what he said. My second vehicle is a '73 and serves as an alternate daily driver. So it is not only doable, many of us do it for years. They are simple vehicles and they give you lots of warning usually.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
my wifes 66 has been her DD for the last 10 years. My 72 was my DD for a couple years when I met her. I was probably puting 60 miles a day on it with no problems. If I wasn't given a company truck and gas card it would still be my DD.

murdock

Loc.
Anchorage, AK
If you're worried about it dying on you on the interstate, you may want to upgrade your insurance for a few bucks a month to include tow insurance. I think it's usually really cheap and could save you a little money.

I daily drive my '74 in the summer. It does great but did need a tow once when the ignition module crapped out.

cootvon

Loc.
Little Rock, AR
also what murdock said... call your cell phone provider. i pay 3$ a month for roadside assistance.. it follows your phone. you get so many tows a year up to 50$ each time... plus they'll bring you gas, help you with a flat.. etc etc. the towing is worth it if you need it once. i paid 45$ to get mine 1/4th mile before i had the plan. seems like when my buddy used his with cingular, he had 3 tows in a month. i'm sure there is a cutoff somewhere

i had cingular.. and now have alltel, seems they are identical for roadside so they might use the same company

Jeff

Dachy

Loc.
San Diego, CA.
funny, i bought a 2001 toyota echo with 110k miles on it for 4000 bucks and it gets 40 mpg. screw how it looks, it's awesome for getting around and gets 4 times as much mpg as my bronco probably will.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
ya may wanna keep a good tool kit too. I also run around with spare belts, hoses, gallon or two of water, ATF, jumper cables, points (in case the pertronix fails) voltage regulator, can of carb cleaner, wiring repair kit, etc.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
also what murdock said... call your cell phone provider. i pay 3$ a month for roadside assistance.. it follows your phone. you get so many tows a year up to 50$ each time... plus they'll bring you gas, help you with a flat.. etc etc. the towing is worth it if you need it once. i paid 45$ to get mine 1/4th mile before i had the plan. seems like when my buddy used his with cingular, he had 3 tows in a month. i'm sure there is a cutoff somewhere

i had cingular.. and now have alltel, seems they are identical for roadside so they might use the same company

Jeff

It's funny you should say that. We upgraded our cingular right before OCBR 06:)

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
Mine is a semi DD, usually about 3 days a week unless I have heavy hauling to do, when I use my shop truck. I keep it regularly maintained & carry a small assortment of possible necessities: hose repair kit, backup ECM & coil, small selection of tools, an extra alternator belt, etc. Everythign that'll fit in a small kit under the passenger seat. More for the wife than me, we also have AAA coverage for our vehicels & it's been a real help more than a few times.

Mtn Gote

Loc.
Sultan Wa.
You should be fine with it as a daily driver. Just take care of the basics, like oil, water/anti-freeze, check belts and hoses, brake fluid etc.

My EB was my daily driver for a couple weeks when my F series was in the body shop from running into a deer. Deer can make a mess of things. My EB is my trail rig/weekend toy but when she got the call to play first string she did just fine.

Ed

I almost hit a deer with the bronco once!!! Locked up the rear drums. Anyways, take good care of her, regular oil changes, maintinece really!!!
Cory,

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
The job I had before the one now...I was a P R rep for an auto corp ..drove a couple hundred miles ever day ...Well I was driving a Dodge tr that was getting about 13mpg ...one day I found a used 1987 BroncoII V6 5speed ..I just gave 500.00 for it I PUT 387,000 miles on it ...I bought lots of tires 2 clutches ..swaped the seats once and 2 5th gear nuts and a few tune ups ...got 19 to 26 mpg I said I couldn't have done my job if it were not for the bronco ...So don't give up one them their all good.......

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Mine was a DD for 10 years.

Till I ran across a one owner 86 MAzda 323 for $200.

Drove that if it was raining, or too sunny, or more than 30 miles, etc.

I borrowed my parents 99 Yukon for a while, and man,
am I spoiled now.

A/C, heated seats, killer 8 speaker strereo, cruise, power everything, and uses less gas.

The Bronco hasnt been driven hardly any since.

If you will be doing it long, look around and get a $300 beater Japanese car.

No need to wear out classic iron when you dont have to.