• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater blower motor upgrade problem

retherford

Loc.
Huntsville, Alabama
I just put in a new heater blower motor from a '78 Ch**y based on a thread I saw here. Everything went well except that I don't feel anything from the defrost and the heat, while hot, is minimal.

I haven't taken the heater apart (though it looks like I'm gonna have to) to look for debris, but I have used my compressor to blow air through the heater and saw no debris. I didn't buy the ch**y cage, but used one I already had from the savlage yard that fit.

Also, the motor I bought from Advance Auto (Part number:35587) has a hole on the side of the motor housing that blows air when the motor is running. Did I get the wrong motor? Should I cover that hole? I need help! Thanks.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Did you pull both knobs in your dash out?
All three if you want the defrost one activated (the closest to the column).
Are your defrost baffles hooked up on your box?
Is your valve working (open) on your heater hose in the engine bay?
Is your heater core good?
I totally rebuilt my box when I did the upgrade. It's not bad to pull everything.
That hole in the motor is for cooling - it's normal.

OP
OP
R

retherford

Loc.
Huntsville, Alabama
I pulled all three knobs out.
Baffles are hooked up.
Valve to heater hose is open.
as far as I know the heater core is good. no leaks and the air that comes out at the floor is hot.
So, I guess I need to pull the whole thing out and rebuild.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
If your getting hot air, the valve is open, sounds like its just not moving air. Mine moves a lot of air with the chevy motor. Sounds like you need to reseal your box.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If the coolant valve is old sometimes it will corrode inside to the point where it doesn't open. The cable pull lever may also come loose from the valve shaft.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Sounds like to me the flapper that redirects heat from the floor to the winsheild is stuck which is pretty common considering how old these rigs are.

Pull it and make sure the flapper is working sufficently while its out being resealed.

Ben

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
Are you sure the cage didn't come loose from the motor?

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I have the same issue. I'm getting nothing from the defrost, but the floor heat will burn your shoe laces off. I rebuilt the box and resealed it when I put it back together, so I assume either the cable is unhooked in the back or the defrost host came off. I haven't crawled under to look, but I will be watching this to see how you fix yours.