• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headers for 5.0 with 4R70W transmission

67kato

Loc.
Beekman
Hi all,

Working on my 74 and could use some wisdom from the group. Has anyone used the Dominator Headers from James Duff on a 5.0L with 40GTP heads and a 4r70W transmission. My rig also has the Duff long front arm suspension and a 4 link in the back. The exhaust routing does not look easy. Looking for pictures and any advice available. Thanks in advance!

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
i have Hedman headers, 5.0, 4R70W and a NP205. The passenger side was within .125 of the bellhousing flange. I cut off the header flange and repositioned it a bit for clearance. It is tight in there but it works. I think you can get by w/o re-adjusting but it was too close for me I thought it would create problems. My exhaust was dual but I am going back into 2 into 1 and crossing over under the transmission.

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
There was a thread a few weeks back covering this same topic, search 4R70W headers.

OP
OP

67kato

Loc.
Beekman
OP
OP

67kato

Loc.
Beekman
i have Hedman headers, 5.0, 4R70W and a NP205. The passenger side was within .125 of the bellhousing flange. I cut off the header flange and repositioned it a bit for clearance. It is tight in there but it works. I think you can get by w/o re-adjusting but it was too close for me I thought it would create problems. My exhaust was dual but I am going back into 2 into 1 and crossing over under the transmission.
Are your headers coated? I would hate to cut up brand new coated headers if I didnt have to.

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
FWIW, been running the Wild Horses/ JBA shorty's with good results. As with probably most headers for this application, had to trim off the cast ear/ tab on the passenger side of the bellhousing. Fitment is tight on that side with the dipstick tube, cooler ports, etc.

1buckeyefan1

I was thinking about them. I had read somewhere that the long tube headers were better for torque so I was leaning in that direction. I also liked the fact that they had an O2 sensor bung already in the header. Just not sure and now I am stuck in "analysis paralysis"

You may run into issues squeezing it all into your frame around the 4R70W, etc (depending on the trans mount you went with). I went with the earlier Broncohut Sanderson knockoffs and they worked out pretty good. Glad to see that Sanderson is finally offering them directly to consumer know.. rumor was that Broncohut had some sort of exclusive deal with them.

I just had my exhaust installed and bought stainless collectors with the o2 bungs already welded into them.

CowboyGrin

Contributor
the circus looks like fun
Loc.
Oklahoma
I have an extra set of the Bronco Hut Sanderson ceramic shorties available if interested. New in the box, never opened.

OP
OP

67kato

Loc.
Beekman
I appreciate all the information. i ended up going with a set of long tube dominators from Duffs. They are coated inside and out, have the O2 bungs in them and have a ball and socket type of exhaust flange. I put in the drivers side last night with a set of remflex gaskets. Easy install when theres no body in the way! Im not having any luck posting pics!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
These are a great deal. I got them in 2 days.
I have an extra set of the Bronco Hut Sanderson ceramic shorties available if interested. New in the box, never opened.
These are a great deal. I got them in 2 days. USPS shipping. Edmund, OK to Honolulu, Hi. Sent 9/27 and received them 9/29.

Attachments

• 20230929_124250.jpg
    20230929_124250.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 8

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I appreciate all the information. i ended up going with a set of long tube dominators from Duffs. They are coated inside and out, have the O2 bungs in them and have a ball and socket type of exhaust flange. I put in the drivers side last night with a set of remflex gaskets. Easy install when theres no body in the way! Im not having any luck posting pics!
For a paltry $12/year, you become a contributor and can then post pics. Best money you can spend. There’s instructions on how to do that…somewhere in the site here.

And welcome to the best forum around. Lots of great folks who have an enormous knowledge of everything EB.

Randy