• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hagerty insurance claim???

jperry1290

Just had a big quake in good ole California. I had several items fly around the garage resulting in several dents dings and scratches to my vehicle. I do have the limited quake insurance witht the annual aggregate of 16k. Based on auto body prices I am assuming its gonna cost 5-7k for the repairs. Not much detail in the policy papers, but do you think they will cover it?

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Hope all is ok, hope no more hit. I believe you have a good chance of coverage, they have a good rep. Just document the before and after well with pics.

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

I just bought the car and got the policy for my 66 mustang about three weeks ago. I did send them 360 degree photos upon purchase even though they asked for one. Most of the damage is the drivers rear quarter panel, which means both rear quarters and the roof need to be repainted. The car slid backwards about 3ft the got barraged by my sons bike, cans of paint, yard tools, etc. The dana 44 axle im building even slid under the mustang and got wedged. Our bed slid about 4ft side to side on the wood floor. We thought this was gonna be "the big one"

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
wow,

you know cali is just gonna slide right into the ocean one of these days !

we had a minor quake in Georgia about 10 years ago,

was enough to wake me up, with the furniture banging against the wall.

problem in GA is that we had no clue what it was,

I kept looking out the window that faced Atlanta, I figured the Muslums had popped a nuke in Atlanta.

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

90% of the car sustained damage, so the estimator was going to try and get Hagerty to paint the entire car. The shop said they can paint on top of the existing two layers of paint (covered by insurance), but stated that the paint can have a reaction. He said I can have it media blasted for 1500-2000 and he would do a lifetime guaranty. However it can expose rust and bondo which could cost thousands more to fix. He advised that the existing paint is in really good shape, but there is some evidence of reaction. Im leaning towards having it blasted. Any experiences here? Multiple shops and a friend that used to paint cars said three layers is max.

KyddsPly

It's like taking a can opener to a a can of worms. But I sat go fit it. Insurance is going to paint it and do some of the body work anyways.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Three layers as in paint jobs is pushing it when you chip paint that thick or sracth it for that matter its hard to fix plus depending on prep jobs between paint jobs the paint can delaminate after awhile much bigger issue when the paint chips and water gets between poor paint adhesion. I say if you can afford it and the insurance is covering part of the bill go for it just make sure you do plan ahead for extra body work because once they start blasting their sure to find something that needs fixing after all these are forty plus year old rigs who knows what lies under that paint.

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

Hagerty approved $6600 for an entire repaint and all body work needed to repair quake damage. After some parts were removed from the car the shop advised there was bondo in the drivers door, rear quarter, and passenger fender. The shop estimated 1500-3k to fix the old bondo work. So I could be out of pocket 3500-5k if the car gets stripped. At that point I will be 19-21k in a 17 thousand dollar car. I am thinking of just having the minimum work done that insurance will cover. I dont know if I really want to be 4k over what the Nada guide priced the car at. No sentimental value in the car at this point.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
Just sand down through the old layers of paint,seal and repaint.Save the money for upgrades later.

zonian

Loc.
St. Augustine
Nowadays you may be able to get that money back, lots of eb's are going above nada.....however, it is a risk.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
It's a crap shoot to do a respray over old paint..especially not knowing the brand used last time. Todays paints are so specialized they tend to blister just talking about a respray. To media blast to bare metal is the only way to insure the paint bonds with steel....Best wishes

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I too would just sand the extra paint off. Stripping down and starting over will just burn you and then the body shop has you over a barrel. Epoxy sealer will be your best friend.

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

Hagerty gave me 6600, which the shop said was lower than expected. I paid the shop extra to have it blasted to bare metal. Just got a call from Hagerty checking on the progress and I advised the issue the shop had with the old paint. Hagerty said they will look into it and see if I can get awarded some more money. Seems like good customer service.