• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear banger question - how short to cut

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Ok, the WH instructions read:

"observe that the shifter necks down at the base. Using an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, a sawzall or hacksaw. Cut the shifter about 2-3” ABOVE the neck down"

I was thinking more in absolute terms, from the NP435 shifter pivot ball shoulder up. Does anybody have a recommendation or measurements to share on where I should cut it off. Better to measure twice and cut once; but even better yet cut too long and cut again if you have to.

The marks in the photo are at 3 4 5 and 6 inches from the shoulder.

Attachments

• 20240416_175932.jpg
    20240416_175932.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 49

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
There are different two versions where that measurement would be about 1" or so difference. In my estimation you can use the second mark up from the spring in your pic. . I would guess that is about 3" up from the spring. You can always cut more once the collar is attached and you can see how things function.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
There are different two versions where that measurement would be about 1" or so difference. In my estimation you can use the second mark up from the spring in your pic. . I would guess that is about 3" up from the spring. You can always cut more once the collar is attached and you can see how things function.
Do you think I should straighten it out? I have this one: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/early-bronco-trail-edition-np435-gear-banger-shifter but not using the tunnel cover because I have custom one.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
You should straighten it I would do that before you cut it,, Novak conversions also sell straight ones of afew different lengths cutting would still be necessary,,