• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Found some Old Scouts, and a 78 Bronco could I use any of these for EB parts?

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
A buddy of mines dad has a few old scouts. They look like my EB;D . He also has a what I'm told to be a 78 bronco. I was just curious if their were any parts that I could use off any of these to make my rig any better.

I do not have a full PS setup. I have the pump and PS unit. I need a shaft and lines.

I also do not have PB's

I also do not have Disk brakes.

Maybe the front unit from the 78 will work for me? If so what would need to be done? What should I look for? Is it worth it. I have a Dana 44.

Thanks

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
take from the knuckles out on the 78 Bronco, that's what I used for my disc brake swap. You'll have to rework the tierods, either get bushings for the knuckles from chuck, or cut down the 78's tie rods.

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
do a search for scouts on Yahoo and then email those guys with scouts, and see if you can scurry up possobly a "finders fee" from em for the parts rigs. Or just do it to help em out! That way you dont have too big a head ache, and you still get something for your time invested....they will love you, no-one (hardly) wants a scout but for those that do they will likely return the favor with a EB parts find! :)

Bronco Ben

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Scout power steering boxes can be reworked to be used on the Bronco. If you do the knuckle out conversion for disk brakes grab the short axle. cut a little off the end and you have a big ujoint axle. the long side is useless. Better yet keep the whole thing and just cut down the long side and add BC's WAH and shorten the steering linkage and you have a top noch front axle.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
I was under the impression that the LONG side of the RC D44 from the 78 full width axle can be cut down to EB length and provide 760/297X U joints for an EB...
I think the inner axle length is the same as the EB and would swap directly in.
Moser will cut the long side down and respline for $50 plus shipping.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My understanding the short side is an 1/8 longer which most trucks will tolerate except some limited slips. and there is some compromise in the u-joint / ball joint alignment depending on where it is used. and I was under the impression that the Chevies you can cut down but the fords neck down a little after the spline. I do not know this for fact so i dont want to mislead anyone. The compromise in the u-joint alignment is depending on if you use the axle in a bronco drum spindle or a chevy spindle. if you use it in a ford disk spindle there is no compromise.

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
I know it sounds horrible, but you can also use the Scout knuckles, spindles and stubs to swap disc brakes. Of course this means using external style hublocks. I did this on my last truck with no problems. It did seem to offcenter the steering though. Nothing and adjustable drag link couldnt fix..

brian72

Early Bronco Student
off the '78 - maybe a variable speed wiper motor
if 4x4 then take the ps gear box and then find you 4x2 to swap the internals with...see chucks tech article.
Does it have a tilt column?

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
IIRC... in addition to the above points on the 78 Bronco:

The draglink / tierod is bigger and uses bigger TRE's.

The 9" rearend center should have 31 spline side gears.
Rarely they might have had a 4:10 ratio too.

Carb and ignition spares don't hurt either.

Intermittent wipers?;)

Last edited:

Jeff B

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
RKM,

Any of those Scout IIs have any good chrome vent windows or rear step bumpers? I've got a 77 Scout II along with my 74 Bronco. I could use a few parts here and there. Please let me know. Maybe we could work something out.

Thanks!

OP
OP
RKM

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
Thanks for all the information.

I will try to check the scouts/bronco out this week end. I'll be sure to take many pics and help anyone with any parts as I can.

THanks