• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer intake/front dress hood clearance tricks

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have searched and haven't really found what I am looking for.
-My buddies bronco has a 1" body lift and the stock hood barely doesn't clear the Explorer EFI upper intake front bolt and the pwr steering reservoir is right in the way of the hood support.
-I really don't want to do a 2" body lift because I will have to replace the rear brake line (axle to frame) and lord only knows what else.
-I plan to modify the brace to accommodate the pwr steering reservoir cap.
-But the intake bolt I don't think I can do any trimming.
-I looked at the JBG hood scoop but it doesn't quite get as much area of hood as I'd like.
-I looked at summit and they have specific bronco full length hood cowls, but they are a little too much out of the stock look.
-Do I have no other option but the 2" body lift and just be done?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What engine mounts do you have? I am using stock mounts with a ample 347. I do not have efi though.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You do not have to modify a rear brake hose to do a body lift.
Only the ones between the master cylinder, and the frame are affected.
The clearance for the upper intake is just enough. But the power steering reservoir has always been a known issue. I think most people just lower it down on the same bracket. I can’t remember if people cut the top of the bracket off or not, but the reservoir is lowered.
Others use custom reservoirs.

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have seen the bracket to lower.
Currently have WH 1" body lift.
-I even cut down the upper/lwr intake spacer to 3/4" in an effort to make clearance.
-The current rear brake hose is at max extension already
-Have copper/nickel brake line to deal with master cylinder adjustments.
Thanks, BI

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
-I even cut down the upper/lwr intake spacer to 3/4" in an effort to make clearance.
So this is a 351? Or is there an adapter between a different lower and the upper?
-The current rear brake hose is at max extension already
Definitely want to address that, of course. But that’s not from body lift. That’s from suspension lift.

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1972 stock 302 motor
Explorer upper/lower with 3/4" spacer to cleat the valve cover.
I know, I gotta come buy and pick up a longer brake hose from you.
Are you open tomorrow?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I'd clearance the hood before doing any type bodylift. Low COG is kay to the handling of these broncos.
But that's just me and my opinion.

Basketcase

1972 stock 302 motor
Are you open tomorrow?
Can you change the valve covers to something not quite so tall allowing you to eliminat the 3/4" spacer?

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I have the extreme WH motor mounts and 1/2 inch gaskets. I too experienced this clearance problem on the front most bolt. What I did was shave the boss under that bolt down about 3/8 inch and then used a shorter bolt. Clears just fine now.

Last edited:

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
1972 stock 302 motor
Are you open tomorrow?
Piling on... Why are you using a spacer? I had a 5.0 with Explorer upper/lower and roller rockers under OEM Ford Mustang 5.0 valve covers. The valve covers cleared the rockers with a little work on the baffle and there was absolutely no need for a spacer between upper and lower. Upper cleared the hood with a 3/4" body lift. Had to lower the stock power steering reservoir, standard issue. Eventually made my own.

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the extreme WH motor mounts and 1/2 inch gaskets. I too experienced this clearance problem on the front most bolt. What I did was shave the boss under that bolt down about 3/8 inch and then used a shorter bolt. Clears just fine now.
Great Call MarsChariot.
-I just did that tonight and it cleared !!!!
-The explorer reservoir required a notching of the hood brace that will be reinforced around the reservoir.
-I am going to get the hood with no vents, so the original hood (All beat up) is great for mock up/make my mistakes.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
On the reservoir, I simply made a plate that I then attached the reservoir to and moved the whole reservoir down a good inch. Cleared fine.
In my case the valve covers from the Ford Racing crate motor were plenty high, so a spacer just gives the clearance for the upper.