• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine painting/cleanup tips

Oildog

Loc.
AJ
Hey all, I'm looking for tips on painting my engine block and cleaning up the front dress hardparts on my Explorer engine. The engine has the typical surface rust of an unpainted block. The engine is going to stay intact and isn't being disassembled internally. Just want to freshen it up with some Ford Blue Paint and clean up the grimy aluminum parts of the Serp setup, valve covers and intake manifolds. Looking for tips on block prep before paint and best way to clean up the aluminum stuff...was thinking maybe soda blasting the aluminum stuff and hi temp clearing them and just hitting the block with wire brushes to remove as much rust as possible, then priming and painting with hi temp paint...what do you all think?

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
I have a 5.0 that i cleaned up a couple years ago.. I used a degreaser and then painted with VHT paint.. looked great and has held up well.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I hot tanked and then sand blast the aluminum brackets and intakes

then I painted them CAST COAT ALUMINUM engine enamel and then clear coat

They turned out so nice I should have signed them like a limited edition painting

;D

on the block, mine didn't have a lot of rust but I just cleaned it up real good with brillo pads followed by nylon brush and compressed air. then the ol blue

OP
OP
Oildog

Oildog

Loc.
AJ
Thanks for the tips:)...where do you get the Cast Coat Aluminum paint?

swampu

Loc.
Biloxi
Anything you don't want paint on use tin foil to cover. Hoses and brackets. It's a lot easier than blue tape. I painted my boat motors and that stuff is great.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I used the POR15 engine painting kit with great results. It is a very high solids paint and it goes on to cast surfaces great with a brush believe it or not. Smooth surfaces not so much.

A friend of mine painted a junkyard block with that kit then years later when he decided to rebuild the engine, the machine shop called him asking what he painted the engine with as it was still on the block after several days in the hot tank!