• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driveshaft/Drive line vibration

blue bronc

Loc.
Fort worth
Ok I am about to throw my self off my roof I am so frustrated with this thing.
For a little bit of back ground
5.5 lift C4-d20 with 9”
Rebuilt transmission 12/08
Rear driveshaft goes bad. Completely rebuilt 1/09
Vibration Starts have shaft rebalanced.
It balances.
I have the transmission guy take the T-case apart because we think it may have a chipped tooth. Nope everything is all good with the t case.
I am told that the angle is too steep need to adjust.
Take shaft back to shop have rechecked am told that 1 u-joint was bad they replace.
I was thinking that was the problem.
The rear pinion seal is bad so I replace along with the yoke.4/1/09
I get high angle shims and install before shaft is put back in 4/4/09
All of it went back together on Sunday and I still have a tapping and a small vibration.
I took it to 4wheel parts and got the axle in the air.
No sound.
Happens only under load.
While up in the air I was checking all around the drive shaft and found what looks to be like metal flake very fine particles of metal.
Could the center pin be rubbing on rotation?
I was under the impression that if the center pin was bad the shaft would not balance.
Am I wrong?
I don’t know what else it could be

Any ideas??

Thanks
Mark

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ok I am about to throw my self off my roof I am so frustrated with this thing.
For a little bit of back ground
5.5 lift C4-d20 with 9”
Rebuilt transmission 12/08
Rear driveshaft goes bad. Completely rebuilt 1/09
Vibration Starts have shaft rebalanced.
It balances.
I have the transmission guy take the T-case apart because we think it may have a chipped tooth. Nope everything is all good with the t case.
I am told that the angle is too steep need to adjust.
Take shaft back to shop have rechecked am told that 1 u-joint was bad they replace.
I was thinking that was the problem.
The rear pinion seal is bad so I replace along with the yoke.4/1/09
I get high angle shims and install before shaft is put back in 4/4/09
All of it went back together on Sunday and I still have a tapping and a small vibration.
I took it to 4wheel parts and got the axle in the air.
No sound.
Happens only under load.
While up in the air I was checking all around the drive shaft and found what looks to be like metal flake very fine particles of metal.Could the center pin be rubbing on rotation?
I was under the impression that if the center pin was bad the shaft would not balance.
Am I wrong?
I don’t know what else it could be

Any ideas??

Thanks
Mark

Where did you find the metal dust at?

fordtrucksrule

it sounds like you're over angleing that ball socket causing it to bind and distroy itself. i've destroyed 1 already and have to replace the whole thing. so whats the angle of you're drive shaft when its sitting on LEVEL ground? the stock 1310ck joint can really only go 22 degrease before it binds up. you can clarence it and get about 26 to 28 degrease out of it but thats about it also whats your pinion angle?

OP
OP
blue bronc

blue bronc

Loc.
Fort worth
Driveshaft

Where did you find the metal dust at?

The metal particles were inside the wall of the CV Collar.
The particles are so fine when I touched them they came off with the grease and you could feel the grit.
I cannot think that it would be anything else but metal.
I have not been offroad at all this week. Could be dust but metal looking dust and the grit was very coarse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blue bronc

blue bronc

Loc.
Fort worth
Angle

it sounds like you're over angleing that ball socket causing it to bind and distroy itself. i've destroyed 1 already and have to replace the whole thing. so whats the angle of you're drive shaft when its sitting on LEVEL ground? the stock 1310ck joint can really only go 22 degrease before it binds up. you can clarence it and get about 26 to 28 degrease out of it but thats about it also whats your pinion angle?

24 degrees last i checked.
I installed high angle shims over the weekend so i would not doubt if the angle was 1 or 2 degrees less.

Any ideas?
Anyone

Last edited: