• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dealer option rollbar/skid plate??

jckkys

Bronco Guru
In '77s the main tank was secured to the frame by a skid plate. I believe the aux. tank skid plate was always standard too. There were some pictures I remember of a flimsy looking take down role bar that may have been a dealer installed option. The after market superior San Felipe bar was out very early perhaps 1968.

OP
OP
B

bryan

Loc.
Charlotte
In '77s the main tank was secured to the frame by a skid plate. I believe the aux. tank skid plate was always standard too. There were some pictures I remember of a flimsy looking take down role bar that may have been a dealer installed option. The after market superior San Felipe bar was out very early perhaps 1968.

I have a San Felipe in my truck currently- can you tell me why you consider them superior? Are they safer/stronger? I ask bc I’m considering replacing it w the one pictured above^ as I like the unique retro look of it- thx!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The one you pictured is a slight variation on a common design back then. Very simple and compact (easier to ship than some other 1-piece styles) but with the slight crown to the main hoop similar to the Stroppe bars. Very cool.

This bar has some good and bad features. The kickers are straight, which is considered stronger in some "activities" that need a good roll bar. But they are also not very spread out. Sometimes it's an advantage to have a wider footprint overall. More protection for the rear passengers (such as it is) and possibly more rollover strength.
But the fact that the other one with the straight kickers has them mounting to the wheel well, is a strong point as well. Just that spreading the load farther might still have some advantages.
Might check with some racing sanctioning body rules to see if they lay that out in print and say yay or nay regarding one being stronger than the other.
Or maybe one of the engineer types here can tell us.

But the crown on the main hoop is one of my favorite features. With a little less pronounced crown than some desert designs, and other than pure aesthetics it's supposed to make it easier to roll the vehicle back on to it's wheels.
That little bit of crown does not look like it would be much help in that area, but it might be. Assuming the hard top is not installed that is.

Paul

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The rollbar looks like a Hickey unit or perhaps a Stroppe 'standard' rollbar. If a dealer happened to carry either of those two lines of products, it could've been installed by them.

The ones available from the factory that looked like that started their availability in '78 - and Ford called them a 'GT bar' to keep the lawyers happy.

Todd Z.

MS73HD302

I have that same roll bar in mine. Bought new in Memphis and family owned since ‘74

Attachments

• 2E637E80-AB55-4089-AE58-8DA60970FD28.jpg
    2E637E80-AB55-4089-AE58-8DA60970FD28.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 49

RVB

Contributor
My '66 roadster came to me with this roll bar installed. Talking to some folks that know more than I do about the subject, I was told that it was a dealer installed roll bar from that era (1966). It is going back in my roadster subsequent to it's restoration.

Thanks, Rex

Attachments

• IMG_0552 (1).jpg
    IMG_0552 (1).jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
B

bryan

Loc.
Charlotte
My '66 roadster came to me with this roll bar installed. Talking to some folks that know more than I do about the subject, I was told that it was a dealer installed roll bar from that era (1966). It is going back in my roadster subsequent to it's restoration.

Thanks, Rex

Does yours have a slight peak in middle of main hoop? It looks straight across in the pic

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My Hickey bar is straight accross the top tube and the kickers come out at mid point on the down legs straight out and then bends down to the top front corner of the wheel wells. it was touted as easy install one piece as it fit through the door in one piece and didnt have to take the top off. was 2 inch tubing of heavy wall tube. my 17 year old ass at the time could barely pick it up. the tubes didnt block vision out the side windows.