• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 Regear - Pattern Check

Tias

Loc.
Vancouver, BC
I'm having some fun with the regear of my Dana 44. Thank heavens for setup bearings, I can't imagine trying to tackle this job without 'em.

After a couple nights in the garage I think I am close. My backlash is 0.06" and my pinion preload is ~20 in-lbs. This is what my pattern looks like:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZYnBn82dGGDCZKor5

I think I might be a touch close to the face and might try to add a bit to the depth shim stack. For all the axle pros out there, what do you think?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I would not go deeper with the pinion. I think you are a little too deep right now. I would like to see the pattern a little deeper into the ring gear. I would try to back the pinion out a few thousand's and try moving the ring gear into the pinion. You are real close, I just like to see more contact area.